Talk

Advanced search

Which book cover?

(10 Posts)
HolditFinger Thu 20-Apr-17 21:28:21

Can I have your opinions please?
I'm on the final leg of redrafting before my novel wings it's way for copy editing and I need to choose a cover. I'm going for a pre-made one because frankly, I'm lazy. I cannot decide between these two.

The novel is a paranormal mystery set between the present and 1929/30.

Thanks in advance!

Mistoffelees Thu 20-Apr-17 21:33:01

I like the first one but would assume the padlock featured in the story somewhere.

TizzyDongue Thu 20-Apr-17 21:33:47

First one suggests mystery, a sinister one; second one suggests a mystery too, but involves a love story too.

Second one also will cut out of the readership all the male readers who 'don't read women writers' (unfortunately so).

HolditFinger Thu 20-Apr-17 21:40:37

Thank you both!
The padlock would symbolise unlocking memories, whilst the second works because it does involve a love story too.

I must admit, putting off male readers is something I'd worried about.

Dontrocktheboat Fri 21-Apr-17 11:22:16

I agree that would probably go for first one as more neutral while still giving sense of mystery. I think the second might alienate both male and some female potential readers if it looks likely to be predominantly romance.

Zoidberg Wed 26-Apr-17 16:45:41

I agree with TizzyDongue esp about male readers.

HolditFinger Thu 27-Apr-17 17:52:58

The first one it is then!

nickelbeingnormal Thu 27-Apr-17 17:55:57

I like the 1st one, but am confused by the padlock.
Without the padlock (is there some other imagery related to your story that would fit there? Like a clock, for example?)

The 2nd one is just too samey (and she doesn't look 20s/30s)

HolditFinger Thu 27-Apr-17 22:52:39

The padlock symbolises the unlocking of secrets and memories, so I thought it was a good fit. I'm definitely scrapping the second one.

DalaHorse Thu 27-Apr-17 22:57:33

The first one looks far more intriguing and punchy. The second one looks wishy-washy and I'd judge (on absolutely nothing!) that the story would be tedious.

I do judge a book by its cover and also by the blurb on the back and the first paragraph. If I'm not grabbed by two out of the three, I'm out. But a bad cover and title would mean I'd probably never even pick it up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now