Talk

Advanced search

Anyone writing over Easter?

(10 Posts)
Goldfishjane Thu 13-Apr-17 19:08:10

Anyone writing over Easter?
Summary of my situation - write on and off, had abandoned it but now thinking to go over a novel that's at about 80% of a first draft.
My theory is I should sit down with it tomorrow and read through to see how viable it is. I've had an agent tell me it's viable - she read a synopsis - but I stopped because I felt I was forcing myself to write and not enjoying it.

Also I have a couple of other ideas I can flesh out over Easter. So I just wondered if anyone else wanted to share updates over Easter about their writing work?

geddes Fri 14-Apr-17 11:46:41

Hey there.

I'm going to be sitting down and having a big think about what I actually want to write. I used to write all the time, but now that I do it as a job (and am busy with children the rest of the time) it's fallen by the wayside. However, now that the children are past the baby/toddler stage and life is all feeling a bit more manageable, I'm feeling the lack of writing in my life. Time to make some room for it again I feel.

iklboo Fri 14-Apr-17 11:53:08

It depends. It's my writing group tomorrow & we may get set a project. If something pops into my head over the weekend I'll have to get it down or it'll go.

Goldfishjane Fri 14-Apr-17 17:16:08

I had a look at it
It's okay but I need to change it to make it more compelling.
Is the first draft the easy bit? I found that quite hard....!

Chavelita Tue 18-Apr-17 21:13:37

I think it depends on the kind of writer you are. There are people who adore the sheer rush of the first draft, possibly because they're plotty writers writing a plotty novel, so just getting everything down in shorthand, skipping ahead to important scenes etc just to get it all down. Whereas I'm a slow, character-driven writer (literary fiction) who's capable of agonising at the level if the sentence and word -- I actively like revising, improving, condensing, taking out what doesn't work.

Having said that, I'm on draft 100, probably, so don't listen to me. grin

Goldfishjane Tue 18-Apr-17 21:20:38

Well I went through it and it's not bad
Next block of work Thursday night. Hope I can keep momentum this time....

Madhairday Wed 19-Apr-17 11:04:23

I'm doing some writing over the holiday, mainly on my YA novel. With me, I love the rush of the first draft - there's nothing like it, and also enjoy the edit stage, love reworking sentences until they sing smile I might be odd, though...

Chavelita Wed 19-Apr-17 13:01:48

You're probably just irritatingly well-rounded, Mad. grin

But I do think it does depend to an extent on genre, too -- dystopian YA or a thriller is going to be plottier than character-driven literary fiction, so there is perhaps a stronger narrative push to get you through the first draft?

My current novel is based on historical people, and I'm being largely faithful to real events, only shifting things around in time a little for dramatic effect -- so I don't get to make up major events, only decide how I'm going to use them...

HesterGreysGarden Wed 19-Apr-17 21:15:11

Hello, can I join? I'm trying to doing a bit of writing this week on two different projects. A novel, which is really just at the ideas/fragments/first draft stage, and a shorter piece that I'm polishing up. Finding it tricky to work around lively toddlers though!

Goldfishjane Wed 19-Apr-17 22:09:12

All welcome! I will have time tomorrow night, Saturday, then two nights next week and then part of the long weekend. I figure i should be able to start draft 2 after that? It will be a big psychological boost to have a whole draft done I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now