Talk

Advanced search

Writers Block

(6 Posts)
monkeytree Fri 31-Mar-17 20:31:39

Does anyone experience this? I feel a bit run down at the moment and I think this has a lot to do with it.

I am working on the second draft of my novel and realising I have loads to do editing/re-writing, it suddenly seems very daunting and I feel overwhelmed and it's as if it's gone off the boil somehow.
I am also working on a charity website containing a series of blogs etc. My head is scrambled again feeling daunted which blogs to write, trying to establish contacts for the on-line gift shop, co-ordinating web designer and artist, steep learning curve with technology etc. I've been o.k up until recently but after an initial burst things seemed to have slowed down a bit, again momentum hasn't been sustained.
Does anyone ever take a break from writing and then feel that they can get back into their projects or do you keep chipping away at things even on 'off days'?

phoolani Sat 01-Apr-17 10:32:27

I don't get writers' block anymore since I accepted it's just an excuse you use when you're scared - that the writing won't be as good as you want it to be mainly. Of course you've lost momentum - you've worked really hard and now realised there's still a lot of hard work to do 😱. Only solution is to crack on.

PeppermintTeaPlease Sat 01-Apr-17 13:48:36

Monkeytree,

I think I'm in the same place. I finished a first draft in June, and am about halfway through the second draft. Revision is not going as quickly as I had anticipated, and I have accepted that I do need to take time off when I start to feel run down. I forced myself to work every day on the first draft, and this was fine because it is the "bones" of the book, but I need to be fresh and inspired as I approach each chapter in revision. I just came out of a four week break from revision, and I'm fresh and enthusiastic again. (I expect to be done with the second draft at the end of June).

monkeytree Sat 01-Apr-17 21:01:46

Thank you for your posts. I think there is something more to it than writers block in that yes, I have invested a huge amount of time and emotion in writing the book and now I am trying to take it to the next level and there certainly is an element of fear! I'm not sharing it either in that I don't feel it is good enough for anyone to read; it is very close to my heart but I need to desensitise myself somehow. I can find loads of other things to do like go on mumsnet and put off doing what I need to do. I am also a perfectionist and finding the perfectionist element a complete headache. Good luck with your second draft peppermint.

GetAHaircutCarl Sun 02-Apr-17 18:55:32

The writing muscle is the same as any other: it needs a regular work out to retain strength and flexibility grin.

OP this is a classic case of The Worry taking over. The initial fun of the first draft is over. Now you're going to have to whip that monster into shape and then send him out for judgement. That's daunting. The Worry is that this lovely thing you've enjoyed creating won't be loved by others.

There's only one way to deal with The Worry IME ( many years and many projects later it's still always there) and that's to set a deadline.

I will edit this book by X.
I will send it to a beta reader by Y.
I will sub it by Z.

And then do it.

monkeytree Mon 03-Apr-17 13:59:50

Hi getahaircut
Wise words - thank you. I'm trying to edit one chapter before each of my writing group meet up so one chapter every two weeks- that way there's a deadline but it is not too pressurised. I love the way you have likened the novel to a monster -.that is a very apt description I think!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now