Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help. What to do next?

(7 Posts)
Dontwaketheneighbours Thu 23-Mar-17 20:03:59

Hey everyone. I've lurked on MN for a while but not posted much before.

Was just wondering where to go next with my MS and hoping for some advice.

I've had a professional editorial report on my ms and the editor, who's an author herself, said it was v good and she thought it has commercial potential. I also had some professional feedback on my synopsis and query letter. - which was v positive too, and apparently I've hit the nail on the head so to speak. So that's all fantastic and really encouraging. BUT ... I've sent to quite a few agents and not even had a request for a full MS.

I've edited and re-edited and I honestly think my MS is ready (but I would, wouldn't I?)

I'm not sure what to do next?

And advice much appreciated

Thanks

abeandhalo Thu 23-Mar-17 20:11:13

There's a book called From Pitch to Publication which may help you make sure your pitch and MS is as good as it can be.

Then when you submit be VERY sure you're following the specific pitch rules for each agent to the tee & that you're submitting to the right sort of agents. Then just keep going!

Dontwaketheneighbours Thu 23-Mar-17 20:24:12

Thankyou abe. I've researched the agents and followed their guidelines to the letter. I suppose I'd had such positive feedback I was assuming someone would be interested. But as I said not even a request for full MS yet. But I'll keep going!

I'll try that book, thanks for the recommendation.

schmalex Fri 24-Mar-17 12:37:07

You only need one agent to like it, OP. They may be passing it up due to any number of reasons not related to your ms - having a full list, having a similar book or author on their list already, it not being to their taste, etc, etc. Just keep on submitting...

Dontwaketheneighbours Fri 24-Mar-17 13:11:22

Thankyou Schmalex smile

ImperialBlether Fri 24-Mar-17 13:14:55

So they've read three chapters and a synopsis but have said it's not for them? Did they give you a reason? As schmalex said, there might be loads of reasons for this which are nothing to do with your book.

A lot of agents now say they're looking for new authors - they might be a new agent and need to make up their list. Some are actively looking for debut authors as they love being able to influence a book. I would be looking out for that kind of agent.

Dontwaketheneighbours Sat 25-Mar-17 09:19:19

Hi imperial

I've only submitting to agents who are keen to build their client list. I haven't had any feedback at all, just the standard rejection emails sad so it's difficult to see what I need to improve - perhaps everything?? But that's why I paid for the professional editing service and was told to go ahead and submit. I think my hopes have been built up by the positive feedback from the editing services/ beta readers. I've only submitted to 7 agents but they were all well researched and to not even get a bit of interest even from 1 has knocked me a bit. I know I need a thick skin, I just feel a bit lost as to how to improve if I don't know what needs improving.
Thanks for your reply

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now