Talk

Advanced search

New Open University Creative Writing MA

(8 Posts)
AristotlesTrousers Fri 24-Feb-17 06:14:13

Just wondering if anybody is doing this or planning to?

I've wanted to do an MA in Creative Writing for years, but for various reasons it hasn't been possible until now. Ideally I want to study in my own time (so distance learning) and I also want to focus on both life writing and fiction, so I've narrowed it down to Lancaster and the OU.

I've already applied to Lancaster and that would be my first choice as it's an established course and seems to be fairly well-regarded, but I'm wondering whether to apply to the OU as well as a back-up. I did my first degree with the OU, so am familiar with set-up, but I was just wondering if anybody knew anything about the course and whether they would recommend it or not?

FleshEmoji Fri 24-Feb-17 06:16:49

I was wondering about doing this too. Watching the thread with interest.

littleoldladywho Fri 24-Feb-17 06:20:02

Oo! I didn't know they were doing one! <shuffles off for a look> I don't know about the distance aspect if I'm honest. Would you not miss out hugely on readings, and whatnot? <your own, as well as everyone else's> At our place the creative writing students are always off hobnobbing with the guest authors. Are you intending to supplement that side of things with local writing groups? Are you in a city to be able to get to readings?

AristotlesTrousers Fri 24-Feb-17 06:32:34

Oh good, not just me then. smile

I'm hoping to attend a few things locally, littleoldlady. I live near a city where there are often literary events on and near a main line to London. I'm hoping there will be a few members on the course (If I were to apply and get on it anyway) to do stuff like that with, but I'd happily go alone. Tbh, if there was a course near me that was suitable I would probably do it in person, but I do quite like distance learning and I guess they have VLEs and stuff (though not quite the same, I know).

littleoldladywho Fri 24-Feb-17 06:49:49

Hmmm, next start Oct, but I can't see module fees yet? And it's just split into two courses 60/120... Hmmmm. Might have to download a brochure and see if I get any more info, or drop them a line. But you have given me an interesting idea in any case. I'm looking for a couple of modules to supplement my program and I hadn't considered OU. The way it is set up, I don't think I would get approval. But they can only say no, right?!

AristotlesTrousers Fri 24-Feb-17 07:33:57

Sounds like you've got nothing to lose by asking, littleoldlady.

NinahH Mon 27-Feb-17 22:16:13

I'm on the MMU one and would thoroughly recommend it

AristotlesTrousers Tue 28-Feb-17 09:08:33

Thanks NinahH. I looked at this one, but the only creative non-fiction option they offer is 'place', which is a bit too specific for my life writing. Have heard good things about MMU though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now