Talk

Advanced search

Rambling Writing Thread

(22 Posts)
TiggyD Sun 18-Dec-16 13:46:23

A thread to talk about things to do with writing that you don't think merit a whole thread on their own.

TiggyD Sun 18-Dec-16 13:49:22

Written a plan for my latest children's book. It ends with "Alice takes the donkey through the nursery back to the field via ingenious method.".

Hmm

Wonder what the ingenious method is? Feel I've kind of painted myself into a corner. I'll pop it on a back burner and maybe something will occur to me over Santamas.

Witchend Sun 18-Dec-16 16:14:51

Sledge down the stairs?

TiggyD Mon 19-Dec-16 22:58:06

I was thinking of the hero covering it with a table cloth and a tea set and pretending it's a table.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Tue 20-Dec-16 07:11:37

That would work.
When you say nursery do you mean something Victorian or a contemporary childcare setting?
Or you could put a hi vis jacket on the donkey and disguise it as a meter reader.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Tue 20-Dec-16 07:20:09

I have bought myself a new toy from EBay - it's an ancient Alphasmart word processor and I don't want to give it its own thread in case I never use it.
The idea is to use it for the kind of first drafts I normally do in notebooks, only faster, because I can type 100 wpm but can't write that fast.

Witchend Tue 20-Dec-16 14:27:23

My granddad tried one of those and decided he preferred his very old typewriter. The person in the shop couldn't believe it when he took it back and said he preferred it. They were almost speechless and then said:
"But...but...but... you can correct mistakes on here."
My granddad twinkled at him and leant forward in his wheelchair.
"Young man," he said, "have you never come across an eraser?"

We loved playing on his typewriter though. It had a very satisfying clunk when you pressed the keys.

TiggyD Tue 20-Dec-16 15:02:23

It's a modern nursery Countess.

Why is a word processor better than a computer?

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Tue 20-Dec-16 15:18:05

It's not, it's worse, that is the point... wink

Light, portable, cost me £25 including postage, not connected to Internet, no games not even Minesweeper, but a proper comfortable keyboard. Also astonishing battery life because it uses so little power.

They stopped making these a few years ago for obvious reasons, and hilariously, a hipster company has recently crowd-funded something that does the same job except that it saves to the Cloud. Priced $500.

It won't be any use for anything beyond the first draft because it's no good for editing, but for curling up in an armchair and telling myself stories without the temptation to just check Facebook one more time, it's a beauty.

(Probably not worth having for picture books, more for novel-length stuff where the extra speed from typing rather than writing can come in handy.)

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Tue 20-Dec-16 15:20:05

Get a load of that stylish in 1999 translucent green plastic.

WinnieTheWilt Thu 22-Dec-16 14:47:27

I've got an alphasmart I take camping. Brill for first drafts

TiggyD Sun 25-Dec-16 14:58:11

Solved my ingenious solution problem. The staff are all looking for a donkey in the nursery, so the clever girl paints it like a zebra. The staff see it but it isn't what they're looking for so they let it pass... Until they realise that a zebra in nursery is just as bad.

Witchend Sun 25-Dec-16 19:07:19

grin I can see dd2 trying that sort of thing.

I can see the point of that typewriter. Am at my parents so have printed my story out to edit while am here. Think that would work better.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 26-Dec-16 09:10:33

I like the zebra solution very much. And in a nursery there would be plenty of painting stuff lying around, so you could.

Madhairday Mon 26-Dec-16 20:14:11

Oh fabulous, reminds me of the one I had at uni and typed all my very last minute essays on.

Dh has brought me Scrivener for Christmas, will this be rather wonderful or very time wasting with all its thousands of capabilities? I'm looking forward to trying something different to the very annoying Ms Word.

Madhairday Mon 26-Dec-16 20:15:01

I like the zebra solution!

TiggyCBE Mon 02-Jan-17 22:24:23

First draft done. Turned out very good I think.

Another one to be started. Very few words. Need to think of names for a mouse, snake, and tortoise. I'm thinking of Erik for the snake.

Witchend Tue 03-Jan-17 00:58:18

Delta for the tortoise? We had one when we were children by that name until it ran away.sad

TiggyCBE Tue 03-Jan-17 13:53:34

At the moment it's Jenny, Erik, and Doug. That might change though.

Raines100 Fri 06-Jan-17 14:28:10

Doug is a mole's name surely? grin

What about George in honour of the Blue Peter tortoise? Or Speedy, Flash, Lightening, etc...

TiggyCBE Sat 07-Jan-17 14:40:35

Settled with Doug. I was going to call him Lazy so the characters were Jen, Erik and Lazy. No idea on the title of the story. I suppose "Feelings" or something would make more sense.

A Jen, Erik, And Doug book.

Witchend Tue 10-Jan-17 23:11:58

That's the sort of book the children loved... and asked to be read over and over again until I hated. wink

One comment on the names: Would it be better to have a name that is easy phonics rather than Doug? Jan and Erik are quite easy phonetically, I'm not sure Doug is. I can see it as a book children who are reading a little might enjoy going through.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now