Talk

Advanced search

Newbie with a Children's Book!

(8 Posts)
ActualMermaid Mon 28-Nov-16 23:06:44

Hi everyone! Looking for some direction from someone who's possibly done this before! I have Googled and researched for the last 6 nights in a row and every night I just confuse myself more and more. blush

Basically, I've written and illustrated a children's rhyming book that I'm very proud of. Although I've written lots before, this is the first thing that I've been excited about and would like to send away to publishers. I have a few questions.

1. I've done my research and found some publishers who are taking unsolicited email submissions. Do I send the whole manuscript plus illustrations away all at once, or should I send a query letter first?

2. Although I am technically a graphic designer and have had some design work published, I have never illustrated a story before. Is it worth sending the illustrations away too? I know most places are very strict about this, and don't want to see amateur pictures. (Is it worth posting a sample pic here for you lovely MNetters to judge?)

3. Is it worth trying to find an agent before sending this to publishing houses? Can you even get an agent without having any work published before?

I'm so sorry for the long post. Any help would be very much appreciated! smile

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Tue 29-Nov-16 11:23:33

Agent first. Children's Writers' and Artists' Yearbook for listings and other good advice.

MissBattleaxe Tue 29-Nov-16 11:58:48

Of course you can get an agent before getting published. Most publishing houses only consider work via agents, with very few exceptions.

Many agents are often keeping an eye out for new talent, but it is still hard to get one. You have the right attitude though. As Countess says, get The Writers and Artists Yearbook (tray Amazon) and look under UK agents. What usually happen is that the publisher usually sorts out an illustrator, but since you are a graphic designer, they might well accept your own. You never know.

Try agents first. Good luck!

ActualMermaid Tue 29-Nov-16 17:25:15

Thanks so much for all your help! I'll definitely go and try the Yearbook and have a good browse. I'm so overwhelmed, it all seems very strict! Fingers crossed. smile

TiggyD Tue 06-Dec-16 19:49:54

I just went through the yearbook for publishers willing to take direct book submissions. I think there were 4. There are more that are interested in illustrators though. Best to try agents first, then if no luck, publishers. Then the self publishing route.

Any chance of a read?

Linds53 Tue 06-Dec-16 20:16:47

It might be tricky to get an agent for a rhyming picture book. A lot of agents steer clear of rhymes because of translation difficulties. Maverick books look at unsolicited rhyming picture book manuscripts (both text only and text/illustrations). They are closed to submissions at the moment but will reopen sometime in the new year, according to their website. I think it would be worth sending your book to them before you consider self publishing. And Walker Books are also open to submissions by author/illustrators. Good luck!

TiggyD Tue 06-Dec-16 22:19:19

Yes. They don't like rhyming books. Like mine.

There are all kinds of dos and don'ts it'll help to know. Like animals for instance. If you're going to write about animals try to pick internationally known ones rather than animals specific to Britain. It means the book will travel better. And there are standard number of pages too.

Good luck.

CocktailQueen Fri 16-Dec-16 09:59:27

Bell Lomax Moreton accept unsolicited books, and they handle preschool illustrated books - see belllomaxmoreton.co.uk/home/about-us/submissions/

Preschool picture books are 32 pages long. Word count should be about 800, and ideally there should be a 'hook' or repeated text in the story.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now