Talk

Advanced search

Creative Writing courses

(9 Posts)
BantyCustards Mon 28-Nov-16 16:09:48

Can anyone recommend a course that is worth the money?

schmalex Mon 28-Nov-16 16:20:03

What sort of course are you looking for banty? Are you just starting out? If so, I recommend going to an adult education class near you - they're quite cheap and will help you get going. What are you writing, or do you not know yet?

BantyCustards Mon 28-Nov-16 16:22:19

I'm restricted to online courses only. I've written on and off most of my life but have little faith in myself. Something that would give me good, honest feedback would be great.

Dunlurking Wed 30-Nov-16 17:32:06

I did a very good basic online course with York Uni's conted department years ago. It covered short story, drama and poetry and we learnt to critique each other as well as getting the tutor's critiques. I've done a good fiction one online with Oxford Uni Conted department as well. A lot of uni continuing education departments do them now.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Thu 01-Dec-16 10:08:28

The Open University creative writing course is brilliant. If it's too expensive (I know fees went up in line with normal tuition fees) then the main textbook is called Creative Writing: a workbook with readings. You could buy that and work your way through the exercises yourself, although obviously having fellow students and a tutor is infinitely better. Still, the book is good and a great intro.

BantyCustards Thu 01-Dec-16 12:51:13

Thanks for the recommendations!

FaFoutis Mon 12-Dec-16 14:16:08

Has anyone done a creative writing MA? I'm looking at the Open University in particular.
I have been writing on and off all my life and want to do something higher level that will force me to focus on it.

schmalex Mon 12-Dec-16 17:19:08

I'm doing one at the moment, but not online.
I have heard Manchester is good for distance learning.

FaFoutis Mon 12-Dec-16 17:25:28

Thanks schmalex. How is yours going? Would you say it is worth it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now