Talk

Advanced search

Newbie looking direction.

(7 Posts)
reddotmum Mon 17-Oct-16 10:30:53

Hiya. I'm looking for a creative writing course so I can find a bit of direction or even a starting place. Could you help me pease. I have a limited budget so not too expensive please. Xx

Roseformeplease Mon 17-Oct-16 10:32:38

Try FutureLearn (free online) as they sometimes have courses in writing fiction. Last 6 weeks and might get you started.

reddotmum Mon 17-Oct-16 11:05:19

Oh that's a great direction! Thanks very much.

ColdBrew Tue 18-Oct-16 22:20:41

Check out the National Novel Writing Month website. The big advantage of NaNoWriMO is it encourages you to do the most important thing: ACTUALLY WRITE. The help forums there are second to none also.

You should also read Stephen King's book, "On Writing".

A daily writing habit is worth a thousand writing courses, I promise you.

HarrietVane99 Tue 18-Oct-16 22:31:14

Have a look at Emma Darwin's website:
emmadarwin.typepad.com/thisitchofwriting/resources.html
It's full of good advice.
She's a published writer who also teaches for the OU, runs courses and workshops and has published books on fiction writing. I attended a course she ran at a writers' school; it was excellent.

But I agree with ColdBrew, the best way to start, is just to sit down and write.

Applecarts Tue 25-Oct-16 21:33:05

Was Emma Darwin's course really good, Harriet? I think her blog is great.

septembersunshine Thu 27-Oct-16 19:05:36

Join 'the word cloud'. It's an online writers forum and you can post work in there for critique or just read it! I am in there, it's good to touch base with others sometimes. Lots of good advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now