Talk

Advanced search

recommend me a device!

(12 Posts)
sorbetandcream1 Sat 24-Sep-16 00:29:18

I am hoping to start writing a novel in the next few weeks. I've got a laptop but it's old and I often lose stuff on it (probably my fault). What should I buy? Don't want/need internet, needs to be super simple to use, not too expensive... Any ideas?!

AristotlesTrousers Sat 24-Sep-16 09:15:29

What's your budget, sorbetandcream1?

sorbetandcream1 Sat 24-Sep-16 09:38:40

Up to £2000, preferably less. Is that realistic?

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sat 24-Sep-16 12:05:19

You're kidding - all you need is a simple laptop, nothing special - you could get that for £200, never mind £2000, though more speed and power and a bigger screen are always nice.

Personally I find internet access extremely useful. This is partly because I write historical so I do lots of research, but even without that I always have thesaurus.com open because it's easier than messing around with a physical book. I also like to back up to Dropbox which has saved my bacon on more than one occasion, and when you come to get people to read drafts for you it's handy being able to email them to people. However, people wrote perfectly well before the internet and some people prefer to write on a non-connected machine because there are fewer distractions.

Then there's the question of software. Plenty of novels get written on basic word processors. I like Scrivener for ease of juggling different drafts and scenes around and managing my research, but you don't need it by any means.

sorbetandcream1 Sat 24-Sep-16 14:36:18

I am clueless! I don't need internet access- I can use my phone for that. Really just want a basic word processor I guess.

Diamonddealeroncemore Sat 24-Sep-16 20:32:31

For a simple word processor you can get a Neo from eBay - its what they use in schools and then you plug it into a laptop and it downloads. The best bit about it is that it runs off batteries that last a year so great to take about with you and no internet for distraction. About £35 on eBay.

RubySparks Sat 24-Sep-16 20:36:08

Check the format that publishers will accept a novel in e.g. Some will specify MS Word and a font type and size and the layout to use such as page of contents/chapter headings

HarrietVane99 Sat 24-Sep-16 20:43:34

PC World has a good selection of netbooks aimed at the teen/student market that will do all you need for £200 or less. Main thing is to find one with a keyboard that you find comfortable to use. You can download free word processing software.

Like Countess, I find internet access essential for research purposes. I like to be able to copy and paste info to a file so I can easily access it again.

Essential to buy a couple of usb drives to back up your work if you're not going to be using online storage.

ishallconquerthat Sun 25-Sep-16 00:38:15

Anything with internet. Then you write on Google docs and save it on Google drive and write from any device (including phone). That's what I'm doing.

I bought a keyboard for my phone so I can write anywhere.

sorbetandcream1 Sun 25-Sep-16 10:59:41

So- I've just checked out Neos on ebay. Realised that's not quite what I need. I want to be able to see more than 4 lines at a times and easy editing is important. Thanks for suggestion. Good to know what's out there. Going to go to pc world and look for a netbook. Thanks!

schmalex Tue 27-Sep-16 10:28:36

If you don't have Internet access on it, how are you going to send your novel out when you finish it? I'd go for a simple laptop or netbook if I were you and certainly don't spend £2000!

user1477307675 Mon 24-Oct-16 12:36:29

Any basic laptop would do. Choose one with a nice-sized screen and a good keyboard for typing. Expect to pay £200-£300. If you get serious, you might want to invest in a more powerful laptop and software later. To publish a novel you will need email and a lot more than just a word processor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now