Talk

Advanced search

Today I have started my novel

(14 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Anyoneforbowling Wed 11-May-16 14:06:59

I go to the gym everyday and on my walk home I always make up stories in my head filled with description and character back-stories.

Today I came up with a great opening scene for a story and when I got home I thought 'fuck it' so I opened a Word document and just started writing.

I've got 300 words so far. I have no idea what it's going to be about or where it's heading but I'm very excited. I think it might be about one girl's struggle through school and into drug addiction because that's something quite close to my heart but not sure yet!

Anyone written a book? Or have an idea for one?

RickOShay Wed 11-May-16 14:09:29

That's brilliant. Feel I have a book in me, well haven't we all grin, but never sit down and actually start writing. Good for you.

Pinkheart5915 Wed 11-May-16 14:11:10

My mil was a court Clark and once she retired she wrote a book of her memories on it.
She self published on Amazon kindle late last year.

Pinkheart5915 Wed 11-May-16 14:11:31

Have a good time writing your novel

Helmetbymidnight Wed 11-May-16 14:12:21

Well done, getting started is one of the hardest bits.

Come and join us on the creative writing topic in books?

Anyoneforbowling Wed 11-May-16 14:13:05

PinkHeart Wow, I bet that's fascinating and good for her for doing it. My mum was a home carer until she retired. She'd spend six hours a day in and out of people's houses. I wish I had the time to write something with her, she has so many funny, sad, disgusting and downright disturbing stories to tell.

MilkTooth Wed 11-May-16 14:13:44

There's a Creative Writing board largely inhabited by novelists on Mn, OP. Post there for encouragement and other people's stories.

Anyoneforbowling Wed 11-May-16 14:13:55

Helmetbymidnight There is a creative writing topic?! grin See you there!!

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 11-May-16 14:53:45

Hi, we're moving this over to Creative Writing now. smile

ProjectUniverse Wed 11-May-16 14:58:18

I started mine too today! I've been procrastinating for almost a year so decided it was time grin. It's high fantasy so I'm working on world building and expect to be on that for a while but have begun to name families and characters and work on their character traits - it's all very exciting!

MissBattleaxe Wed 11-May-16 14:59:57

It's wonderful to see my favourite board getting busier these days. Welcome everyone!

leonardthelemming Wed 11-May-16 16:21:15

Anyone written a book? Or have an idea for one?

Well, I wrote one about teenage relationships going wrong - in many various ways. I've put it on Amazon.

And I'm working on the plot for another book about a sixth-form girl. I used to be a sixth-form tutor in a girls' school and they say to write about what you know...
The girl in the new story has super-strict parents (although she's actually a good girl - she doesn't smoke or do drugs, she isn't pregnant and she works hard at school). But her parents are so controlling that she has no choice other than to rebel.
I've written about 5000 words of the plot but there are a few inconsistencies to iron out before I start on the book itself.

Madhairday Thu 12-May-16 08:45:51

Congratulations on starting - it's such an exciting road ahead for you - and welcome to the lovely Creative Writing board.

LilianSmith Tue 17-May-16 14:48:29

Good for you, Anyoneforbowling! Keep writing! I have few ideas for a book or two, too, but I'm only dreaming about writing it at the moment...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now