Talk

Advanced search

Copyright(?) and U.S. Agents

(8 Posts)
CantFeelMyFace Tue 22-Mar-16 21:42:30

Hi everyone. I've NCed due to past threads ref personal stuff but have been around for ages. I have finished my book (98k) and doing a final, final edit(yay!). Two questions please:

Should I copyright before sending out?

It is YA/magical realism- I looked at UK agents but not many like this genre. Google threw up #MSWL and there are plenty of US and Canada agents out there that seem more open to it. Is it worth sending over the pond?

Thanks in advance!

NameAgeLocation Tue 22-Mar-16 21:43:39

Anything you write is automatically copyrighted. You don't do anything else to it in order to achieve this smile

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Wed 23-Mar-16 07:45:08

Don't worry about copyright and yes, submit in US.
Congratulations on finishing and best of luck!

CantFeelMyFace Wed 23-Mar-16 11:20:23

Thank you. I was under the impression that we do own the copyright of our own work but it still needs to be registered to be legal. Is this correct? Doubt I've written anything worth plagiarising but would hate for the idea to be taken and someone write a much better version of it!

NameAgeLocation Wed 23-Mar-16 12:40:26

Well, you can't copyright an idea so that's always going to be a possibility anyway. But no, copyright doesn't need to be registered in order to be legal.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Wed 23-Mar-16 13:52:57

Really and truly, don't worry about this. Ideas are cheaper and more frequently replicated than many people realise. The real value of your work is in the execution - you know, the skill you sweated blood to learn and the hours you spent writing and rewriting 98k good words.

CantFeelMyFace Wed 23-Mar-16 16:41:10

Thank you everyone. I'm new to this and groping in the dark a bit grin

Eustace2016 Wed 23-Mar-16 17:39:38

In most countries you cannot register copyright. Do keep the original drafts and date them. Also check any contracts you are sent carefully or have an IP lawyer do so to ensure you are not being asked to assign the copyright.

In the US it is technically possible to register copyright although not necessary to protect it. It tends to be done just before you sue someone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now