I just screwed up with a publisher, so upset.

(8 Posts)
stugtank Mon 14-Mar-16 23:59:26

Sent my manuscript to a small, newly set up publisher. They asked for a sample chapter (up to 5000 words) which I took to mean one chapter up to that length. I read it over and over thinking one chapter seemed short but wanted to stick to guidelines.

They sent an email asking for up to 5000 words. I didn't receive it as my phone was being repaired and I am rubbish with technology and didn't realise I wasn't getting them on my old phone.

Got my phone back today and there was a rejection but they did offer feedback, which included asking why I didn't send more words.

I was a bit perplexed about their submission wording so I replied about.

They replied immediately asking if I got the email about asking for more words. I looked back and found it. It was a week ago. I do feel if they'd read more it would have made a difference and they probably wondered why I hadn't replied.

Basically I've blown a chance because of technological incompetence and I'm so upset about it.

RudeElf Tue 15-Mar-16 00:07:05

There are other publishers. Lesson learned, keep plugging away. check emails daily (always!) you'll get there. It doesnt happen straight away. Best of luck.

caroldecker Tue 15-Mar-16 00:16:27

reply, say you missed the email, here are the missing words. If it is good, they will not ignore.

Helmetbymidnight Tue 15-Mar-16 16:14:29

Oh stug, there are loads of publishers out there, don't get hung up on this one. I think if they were in love with the first bit they'd have waited. Get the feedback, see how you feel, then send to some others. Let them be the ones kicking themselves.

stugtank Tue 15-Mar-16 16:51:58

Thanks Helmet smile

Been feeling a bit 'wrung out' with my writing and life in general at the moment so I think I took this to heart more than usual. I must say that the mistake was initially theirs because their wording is unclear but onwards and upwards!

Helmetbymidnight Tue 15-Mar-16 19:48:17

I know that feeling- every time I look at my email recently, I'm like 'please, some good news!' So it's doubly gutting when it isn't.

When I have the energy I will impart my own 'my technological incompetence has blown everything' story!

CocktailQueen Tue 15-Mar-16 19:49:58

That shouldn't matter. If they like your writing they could just ask for more. If their initial email was unclear, maybe they're not ready to take on new authors!! Onward and upwards - don't let it worry you. These things happen.

VertigoNun Tue 15-Mar-16 19:54:02

Don't give up, explain with more work attached.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now