Irish secondary schools - policy wrt sexualised behaviour

(8 Posts)
AlmaWhittaker Fri 04-Mar-16 22:23:39

Hi all,
Hope it’s okay to post research questions here? (I've just rediscovered this section so am looking forward to browsing later...)

I’m writing a novel and part of it is set in an Irish secondary school in a country town. I wonder if anyone could help with the policies or procedures around a 14-year-old female student doing a striptease on YouTube while wearing the school uniform. The story is from the principal’s point of view. He is informed of the video on Monday morning and I would like to know what steps he would take. The girl has filmed it herself and sent it to a boyfriend who posted it on YouTube. She doesn’t know about that until she gets to school. The boy is also a student, though the principal doesn’t find that out until later.

Would his first reaction be to worry about the girl, that it’s overly sexualised behaviour, and that there may be an abusive or bullying situation? Or would he worry about the reputation of the school? Would he call in a female teacher to view the video with him? Would he call the parents in straight away or would he contact social services or the equivalent of a school police liaison officer (I am Irish but haven’t lived there in a long time). Is it something that the school Board would be consulted on? Who would be responsible for taking down the video? - the school IT technician/teacher or the parents? Would he question the girl on her own, in the presence of a Garda, Tusla? Or would this meeting take place without the girl being present?

Perhaps there is a difference between policy and reality? I think that gardai and social services are probably understaffed, so it may be that he deals with it, through assemblies and homeroom teachers. Would the girl be sent home and kept at home for a short time? Then, all the same questions will apply to the boy who posted the video. If he’s 14, Is he more likely to be questioned like a criminal, and punished, or will they consider he too may have abuse issues?

Sorry for all the questions, especially as it’s a hypothetical situation, but I do want to discuss this issue and get my facts right!

AlmaWhittaker Tue 08-Mar-16 19:04:51

Just a tiny bump to see if there are any Irish cailili or buachailli about...

MissBattleaxe Wed 09-Mar-16 09:28:31

Welcome! sadly there's not too much traffic here. I wish there was though as it's my favourite board! Try chat or schools maybe? It never fails to amaze me how many knowledgeable experts there are on Mumsnet.

And do come back to talk writing!

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Wed 09-Mar-16 09:45:16

I have to go to work but I very quickly looked at the policies from my god daughters brothers school. This a long document and I actually have no idea if it will help but these are the guidelines that would probably cover over sexualised behaviour

www.education.ie/en/Schools-Colleges/Information/Child-Protection/Child-Protection-Procedures-Primary-and-Post-Primary.pdf

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Wed 09-Mar-16 09:46:27

I'm presuming you mean the Republic of Ireland rather than Northern Ireland because the policies/guidelines might be different

AlmaWhittaker Fri 18-Mar-16 14:40:54

Sorry to come back late to this. yes I do mean Republic of. Responses very helpful, thanks all.

paintandbrush Sun 27-Mar-16 11:19:38

Something not unlike this happened in an Irish school I know where the girls were taking knicker-flashing photos of themselves in uniform in the school library. Of course it was all pearl-clutching moral panic about the school's reputation. So typical.

paintandbrush Sun 27-Mar-16 11:27:12

Also depending on how serious the video is, the head would probably just have a quiet word with either a) the poster or b) some innocent child who cannot tell a lie about the origin and getting it taken down. "wait til you hear what Mr X said" always spreads like wildfire. Also I seriously doubt they'd call the police, getting your slut on isn't a crime.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now