Talk

Advanced search

Writers new years resolutions 2016

(13 Posts)
Squishyeyeballs Tue 29-Dec-15 15:52:06

Thought it would be nice to have a little thread where we can throw our aspirations out there and inspire/motivate/support each other. The last few months have been quite hectic for me with some family illnesses etc so haven't had much time to get stuck into my writing. I don't usually do resolutions but I think it might be a nice way to mark the (hopefully) fresh start of the new year! Here goes:

-Read 1 book a week

-Write consistently. Create a routine. Aim for 1000 words a day. Subject etc doesn't matter. Just write.

-Finish reading Conversations With The Universe

-Get back into walking routine

-Limit the use of smartphone around the kids

-Set aside some proper quality time with the children every day

-Complain less

As you can see, I am a creature of habit who loves my routines grin The last one I threw in because I was reading an article that said all writers are habitual complainers. Don't know about anyone else but it's definitely true of me blush So basically, I'm going to try to rant less and write more in the coming year grin

TenarGriffiths Wed 30-Dec-15 23:26:05

Good thread idea. I don't usually do New Year's resolutions either but you've inspired me! I'm stealing complain less and quality time with the children from you.

Here are the rest of mine.

-Finish novel I have been working on for years

-Write short stories for submission to competitions

-Get into a routine with housework so it never becomes a sudden insurmountable mountain that leaves me paralysed

-Stop wasting time googling random stuff just because I'm on the computer

-Experience one new thing every month, such as new food, a place I've never visited or an activity I've never tried before.

Haggisfish Wed 30-Dec-15 23:28:55

These are good! I read something the other day that resonated-I'm printing it out and sticking it somewhere prominent. It said 'have you spent more time today looking at a screen than being with your children or outdoors'?

Squishyeyeballs Fri 01-Jan-16 22:47:02

Tenar I made the housework resolution a few years back as I was sick of things like laundry and the bigger jobs getting out of hand. I made a colour coded spreadsheet, which may sound ott but it worked wonders just to get me into the swing of it in the beginning. I worked out a daily routine of small jobs and then every day or 2, I had a larger job scheduled in too so that I wasn't bogged down trying to do everything in the 1 day. Worked a treat and I'm still sticking to it now, although I don't really need to look at the spreadsheet anymore grin

I am quite tempted to steal your one about googling random facts but I love doing it so don't think I could give it up blush

I often wonder if our memory retention has reduced since all of this information became so easily accessible online. Years ago, we had to remember stuff we read because we couldn't be carting around a bazillion books for reference. Nowadays, there's a whole galaxy of information readily available at our fingertips.

TenarGriffiths Fri 01-Jan-16 23:37:53

A colour coded spreadsheet sounds good! I'm completely useless at housework and tend to forget that things need doing until the kitchen starts smelling weird and the living room is knee deep in all the books and papers and pens and toys that just seem to accumulate by themselves. I really do need to make a full list of jobs and a timetable.

Yes, googling random facts is fun but I tend to stay up far too late thinking, " I'll just see what Wikipedia says about this, and what do Amazon reviewers say about that book I read two years ago."

I remember hearing someone saying once that these days people outsource their memories to computers, and I wouldn't be surprised if you're right about memory retention reducing, most of us have smartphones and pretty much carry all of human knowledge around in our pockets.

Squishyeyeballs Sat 02-Jan-16 00:12:50

" I'll just see what Wikipedia says about this, and what do Amazon reviewers say about that book I read two years ago."

Yy, I just spent the last 20 minutes reading through amazon reviews of a booklight I purchased to see if anyone else was annoyed at how ultra bright it is hmm

I can dig out my spreadsheet if you want to have a look at it?

TenarGriffiths Sat 02-Jan-16 20:09:28

Thanks for offering to show me your spreadsheet, but I've just managed to do my own. Now I just need to get off the computer and get things done, instead of staring at the spreadsheet thinking about how easy it'll be to get things done now.

Choccandnougatchewchew Mon 04-Jan-16 15:54:35

I can identify with everyone here! If I don't get my novel finished and edited before summer I am going to shred it! Started two years ago and wrote 62,000 words in 12 months and then sort of just ground to a halt ... so near the end which is where I ran out of steam. So frustrated with myself for letting it slide, ...along with the housework, healthy eating, exercise ... hmm

Skylerwh1te Thu 07-Jan-16 19:22:45

Mine is simple:
Get back into a writing routine! Had a long break across December and caught up with Netflix again but it's time to stop watching stuff now, can't do both 😞

Squishyeyeballs Sat 09-Jan-16 23:18:05

I've been doing well so far, I am writing consistently at a set time every day and have been using my tablet and phone less around the kids. I've managed to knock a few thousand words out in the last week and the feeling of achievement has really motivated me :D

Skylar I'm a terror for tv. I'm watching a few different series at the moment and added a new one during the week because it is set in the same country as my novel so will be good research for dialogue and language hmm grin

TiggyD Sun 10-Jan-16 15:57:54

I've started a poetry blog which I aim to add to at least once a week.

Asheth Thu 21-Jan-16 13:56:29

Just seen this thread so hope it's ok if I join. My resolution is to finish my novel including editing. And look at self publishing it. It's currently at 34,000 words which is great, but work has recently picked up (I'm self employed so hours are variable) so I will probably have less time to work on it now.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 25-Jan-16 16:45:22

-Finish the WIP

-Learn more from creative writing books.

In order to do both of these I will need to :

-Tell dh I am bloody well going to have to write and if I don't get any time during the week he will just have to look after the dcs all weekend so I can do it then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now