Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Military matters - fictional character in real-life scenario

(8 Posts)
Pedestriana Fri 13-Nov-15 14:55:42

Before I get going I should like to point out that I have also posted this in the 'Forces sweethearts' section, as I was hoping to get input from those with some experience.

I'm writing a novel. For a part of the story, a character is married to (she believes) an Army/RAF type. I've yet to confirm which. He was in the TA, so I'm guessing natural progression would be to the Army.

Near the beginning of their marriage, he tells her he has to be deployed to the Gulf.

Essential to the story are the following factors:

I need him to move her away from family and friends, but not to military base; they need to be renting.
I need to understand what might happen at a pre-deployment briefing.
I need to understand how a pre-deployment briefing would take place; letter inviting you? telephone call? ID check to to in?

I'm struggling to find this information online other than the fact that it is not essential to live on base, but is recommended in most cases.

If anyone can point me in the direction of any information that is pertinent to the time period, I'd be very happy. I'm aware I'll probably need a good five or six hours research in the library as a bare minimum, but being aware of exactly where to look, would be very helpful.

Pedestriana Tue 17-Nov-15 16:59:14

*bump

meditrina Tue 17-Nov-15 17:04:51

The moving to a rental is pretty straightforward. TA don't get housing, and even regulars don't get married quarters unless married/CPed.

But, most TA are in units near their home, so moving to be near a base is somewhat improbable unless he has a specific skill. Now, this might work in your favour if he's a Walter Mitty and isn't really doing this at all. Because those types nearly always go for Special Forces or Intelligence Corps, both of which have TA units (and in fewer locations). There still isn't really any need to move, but could that all be part of his deception?

TrojanWhore Tue 17-Nov-15 17:10:21

Possibly useful links:

Official TA site

ARRSE TA forum

ARRSE on those who impersonate the military

Tiggeryoubastard Tue 17-Nov-15 17:11:26

My exh was in the first gulf war, though we were married and living in quarters abroad at the time, but any questions please ask.
Pre deployment briefing? They'd be briefed on loads of things as they came up. If he was a regular I assume it would be done at work. If reserve then more than likely during the time he was at his unit (Thursday night or whenever).

Pedestriana Wed 18-Nov-15 20:37:05

meditrina - yes, I'm wavering between pathological liar and Walter Mitty.
My question about pre-deployment briefing has arisen from current information turned up by searches. It seems that active servicemen and their families now may attend such meetings/talks.
I like the idea of him dragging his wife to some such to add depth to his deception.

Tiggeryoubastard Wed 18-Nov-15 21:12:56

It just didn't happen then. We did get a (shit, patronising) briefing for their return. But this was a place where the families officer was a sad twat who liked to try to bully wives.

Pedestriana Wed 18-Nov-15 22:55:24

Thankyou Tigger that's very helpful. I'm sorry the families officer was so horrible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now