Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone advise on my synopsis?

(14 Posts)
mydogeatsnutstoo Wed 22-Jul-15 14:57:35

Hi, have name changed for this. I have a novel which has been finished for a little while, am currently working up to send it to agents - not holding out a great deal of hope but feel I should have a go and have been given a couple of contacts. I have read and tried to follow some guidelines about writing a synopsis but not too sure whether what I have written is OK and guess it is quite important as it is probably the first part of a submission to be read! I just wondered if anyone would be able to have a look at it and comment whether or not it seems OK? Would be very grateful - (and willing to reciprocate if I can!) - TIA

KeepBadgering Wed 22-Jul-15 21:01:22

I'd be quite happy to read it for you if it would help. I had to write a synopsis for a novel writing course I went on, and I got some hints and tips from the course leader, who herself is an author and edits/proof reads for a living.

Might take me a couple of days to get back to you as very busy with work at moment, but if you want to send it my way I'll have a look.

mydogeatsnutstoo Thu 23-Jul-15 08:28:32

Hi, keep badgering, that would be great - I have just read through and realised there are a couple of bits I need to change but having a problem with my new (tablet style) computer which won't open it in format it is saved in - so will have to wait for my techno-geek dp to get home and help me, but will forward it in to you then - I really appreciate it, no hurry, it has been languishing for a little while!

KeepBadgering Thu 23-Jul-15 08:45:27

Technology ey, great when it all works, but otherwise aaaargh!

ImperialBlether Thu 23-Jul-15 11:11:00

Don't worry too much about it. We had a number of agents come to speak to us on my MA and they said they only read the synopsis if they find the first three chapters interesting. On the MN Publishing day that's what they said there, too.

The agents from the MA said they only wanted a couple of paragraphs for a synopsis whereas I saw on one site a few weeks ago they allowed about 10,000 words for one!

mydogeatsnutstoo Thu 23-Jul-15 14:47:43

That's interesting ImperialBlether, I didn't know that, thanks.

KeepBadgering, I pm'd you but can't work out how to attach document (not sure if this can be done...?)

ImperialBlether Thu 23-Jul-15 15:12:25

You can't attach a document to a PM, OP. You have to exchange email addresses.

Yes, the agents said that in the end it didn't matter how good the synopsis was, if the first three chapters weren't good enough they wouldn't bother with the rest. I think one said she read the first chapter and if it was okay she read the synopsis. If that was okay, she'd read the next couple of chapters.

I know that they all said if there were spelling or grammatical errors on the first page (something I've seen a lot of with Kindle books) then they didn't read on and didn't look at the synopsis.

mydogeatsnutstoo Thu 23-Jul-15 15:20:10

Thanks, thought I might be missing something re the attachment!

That's useful - guess I need to concentrate on perfecting the first page then...

ImperialBlether Thu 23-Jul-15 16:15:36

Have PM'd you, OP.

mydogeatsnutstoo Thu 23-Jul-15 21:13:42

Thank you, ImperialBlether, have replied.

SheGotAllDaMoves Fri 24-Jul-15 11:45:53

Different agents want different things, check their websites and tinker accordingly.

But I second not sweating too much over the synopsis. And certainly don't try to make it 'interesting' or 'clever'.

It should be a straightforward account of your book, concentrating on plot.

SheGotAllDaMoves Fri 24-Jul-15 11:46:44

If you're happy to post it here, I will happily take a look ( but I don't give out my email. Sorry).

mydogeatsnutstoo Sun 26-Jul-15 09:22:46

Hi, thanks for offer shegotalldamoves, sorry been slow to reply we are away at moment. I'd rather not post it on a public forum but thanks anyway.

ButterDish Sun 26-Jul-15 22:54:25

I've actually heard both from agents. Some will only read the synopsis if the extract grips them, some read the synopsis first and won't open the chapters unless they like the plot/premise.

You'll have to tailor it to different agents' requirements, either way, OP. I can think of at least a few big agencies who specify they want both a very short synopsis (100 words or so) followed by a more detailed one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now