Talk

Advanced search

Creative writing for teens book recommendation please

(8 Posts)
FabulousFudge Fri 28-Nov-14 22:46:47

My friend is in the process of writing her first novel for young teens. I would like to buy her a book to help her with the craft of writing for her forthcoming birthday. Which would you recommend? Thank you.

schmalex Sat 29-Nov-14 06:39:43

Writing irresistible kidlit by Mary Kole is fantastic. It's about MG (9-12s) and YA and has lots of examples from recently published books. It's an American book, but I don't think that matters. Written by an agent.

FabulousFudge Sat 29-Nov-14 12:01:53

Thank you! I will have a look. There are just so many writing books to choose from!

schmalex Sat 29-Nov-14 12:59:43

Yes, I know! That one is very specifically about MG and YA, and the differences in content between the two. I really rate it.

skylark2 Sat 29-Nov-14 19:17:44

Not specifically for teen writing, but I much recommend Stephen King's "On Writing" - it's a book which is fun to read rather than a manual.

FabulousFudge Sat 29-Nov-14 22:56:02

Thanks - I'll check that one out too.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sun 30-Nov-14 20:43:11

I have 'Writing Young Adult Fiction for Dummies' by Deborah Halverson. It's not on my list of top 10 writing books of all time (the Stephen King book is) but I did learn a fair bit from it.
Or you could get her the latest edition of the Children's Writers' and Artists' Yearbook, if she's writing it now and will want to submit to agents next year.

FabulousFudge Sun 30-Nov-14 22:54:18

Thank you. I'll check out that one too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now