Talk

Advanced search

How to become a creative writer

(12 Posts)
IckleBones Mon 17-Nov-14 13:26:30

Posting on behalf of dp who has on occasion mentioned that he would like to do writing but doesn't know where to begin.
Do you have any pointers for him?
It would be great if he found this was the thing for him

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 17-Nov-14 13:41:30

I did a blog post on this - I hope MNHQ won't mind me sharing it here again but it does answer the question:
on learning to write without spending any money

Linskibinski Mon 17-Nov-14 14:00:19

Maybe join a writing group? There are loads of groups dotted about. Joining a group means you get that group feedback, which can help you develop a thick skin. It also allows you to pick up on other writing styles. Ultimately, to improve your writing ability, simply keep writing. Start a blog, keep a diary and read read read! Good luck to DP. grin

IckleBones Mon 17-Nov-14 14:02:31

Thanks a lot iv read it and it looks like it could help him iv sent him the link.

IckleBones Mon 17-Nov-14 14:06:01

He is bored at the moment and wants an indoor hobby or at least something to do to keep him occupied.
I will let him know any advice given but doubt he will dive into writing groups straight away,maybe in time.

MegCleary Mon 17-Nov-14 14:10:34

I am doing a future learn course on creative writing with the OU is is excellent tell him to have a google and see if he can find it. It started a few weeks ago and not sure if they will let people join halfway through but they seem to rum them regularly.

MegCleary Mon 17-Nov-14 14:12:01

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/start-writing-fiction

IckleBones Mon 17-Nov-14 21:14:02

I think he will definitely be interested in the ou course thankssmile

sweetboysmum Wed 19-Nov-14 23:27:52

I'm doing the futurelearn course too Meg. I'm really enjoying it.

MegCleary Thu 20-Nov-14 09:40:12

Me too!

skylark2 Sun 23-Nov-14 17:04:24

I can't comment on courses, but all he really needs is a pen and paper and to sit down and write.

It's a skill. Skill increases with practice. The link in the first response says it much better than I can.

The other thing is - he needs to want to write. Not to have written something. They are not the same.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 24-Nov-14 17:10:10

I've done the follow- up to my post on learning to write - it's a listing of good creative writing books: here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now