Feedback on submission of a full(50 Posts)
I was asked to submit a full in January and my finger are bitten to stumps by now! how long? (busy agency)
Also, book is part of a series, am now in position to submit first part of second book, is it worth doing that to chase up? aaaargh!
Two months is not that long in publishing alas! After three months you could send a gentle reminder. If it's a big publisher they can get up to 50 ms a day.
There is nothing to stop you sending your book out to another lit agent, or if they ask for three chapters send that but in the covering letter mention that you are writing the second book. Agents and publishers like a writer who can deliver series.
No, I guess it's not, and I recognise that existing clients take priority.
I think I'll do as you suggest and continue submitting elsewhere. I am always most enthused by the book I am actually writing, so mainly working on that, but at the same time I'd really like to make a go of the series which means placing the only already written.
My full request took from early august til late October
So that's spot on 3 months. What happened BPB?
Congrats. A request for a full is definitely a good sign.
I had a couple of requests for a full. One replied/declined within about 3 weeks. The other took a little over 3 months. I nudged after 3 months and got a No a few weeks later. Sigh. Back to square one.
Keep writing anyway and have the second book polished and ready to go.
Thanks! yeah it's my second full request, too. The first one asked me to rewrite, I did and then it was a no. Rightly so, in retrospect. Long process, eh!
I'm about a third into book 2 now. I'm doing a CW MA which helps keep up the momentum.
Are you still subbing, Raza?
Blackcoffee are you on twitter? Always looking for writer types
Blackcoffee, is it with an agent or publishing house? Have you chased it up yet? I currently have a full manuscript sitting with a children's publishing house and its been 6 weeks. I am worrying about all sorts of things i.e; did I email my full ms to the right e-mail address? Is it ususal to confirm receipt of a manuscript or not? I am wondering whether to also leave it 3 months before I chase them up or to send them a politie email asking them to confirm they have received it? Oh, what to do, what to do? Waiting is hard (drums fingers on the desk)- although no news is good news hey?
three months on the nail! suggestions (blooming good ones), will look at rewrite. Rewind ....
thoughts it looks like 3 months is par for the course. I'm busy on something else so not too wracked, but now am have the dilemma of whether to do immediate rewrite of the one I submitted or plod on with the new one .... Help!
If they've offered you an r&r, rewrite! They already like the concept and otherwise what are their suggestions for?
The advice I'm being given on my course is work on one book at a time.It will take me tll Xmas to finish a decent draft of the current one, so rewrite for agent would take about a year. I WILL rewrite, am thinking of stopping current book and doing it now instead?
and am kicking myself because I resigned from my consuming job in favour of something a little less full on, and was persuaded to go back! argh!
Congrats blackcoffee- that's great news. If it were me I would get the rewrite done first and strike while the iron is hot, so to speak. Your other book isn't going anywhere and it sounds like the agent is keen but markets can change pretty quickly. Is it a dramatic rewrite if you think it will take a year? All very positive though, you must be really pleased
I'd put the new book on the backburner and get the rewrite done pronto. That way, the agent is more likely to remember you when you send it back and market conditions have had less of a chance to change. I got my MS accepted on the basis of an R&R.
I think agents like it if you can show you're willing to work with them and take feedback on board. If you leave it a year they may think you weren't that bothered.
You may well have to wait another three months for feedback after submitting the revisions (I did), so plenty of time to crack on with Book Two...
Thanks, chanson and thoughts, that's the conclusion I've come to as well! It would take a year if I carry on with current draft and do it after, whereas it will probably take a couple of months to rewrite if I start now. So I am going to take MN advice instead of my course advice. Exciting!
This agent seems to have some great ideas and I'm really enthused about making the changes. Dc are with their dad for a week at Easter, I am going to live and breath novel. Please let this be it!
Appreciate the support!
sorry only came back to thread now.
Yes I'm still subbing but no fish is biting.
I'm also writing short stories and subbing them and have had some success. I feel my writing improving each time I complete a story which makes me doubt my novel now, but who knows!
Good luck with the changes over Easter. Keep us updated.
And good luck to anyone else drumming fingers out there
Raza - improving's improving, it all feeds into the same place. Very best of luck. I've had some great ideas, but I'm a bit daunted about whether I can pull it off. I really hope so. Day job is vile right now, too! Ill certainly keep you posted. Anyone know a quietly inspiring place for a short Easter writing break? (UK)
Hi Blackcoffee, just wondering how you are getting on/got on with R+R. Any news or developments?
Hello, I am blackcoffee, named changed after all that password hoohah. Agent came back with suggestions and I'm waiting, rather pessimistically, to hear about the rewrite. Meanwhile I have another full out and a couple of (non -standard) rejections. Think I'd have heard by now if it was going to be positive. So, close but no cigar! How's everyone else?
You never know with these things, so whilst you haven't heard there is still a chance. How long have they had the re-write? Was the re-write collaborative or were you pretty much left to your own devices? Great news about the other full- you are certainly moving in the right direction.
I had 'such a near miss' with the publishing house my ms was with. They took a long time to get back to me but they were really positve and encouraging but the ms was too short and a little young for their list. I thought this may be the case when I subbed it for the open submissions but I just wanted it read and thought I'd take a chance. Have now got a contact in the publishing house who I can pitch ms ideas to prior to writing, so all is not lost.
I currently have interest from an agent and I am waiting for her to send me thoughts on my ms. She see's a lot of potential in my work (her words) but wants me to strengthen the plot so I am just waiting to see what she wants and then I will be attempting a rewrite.
Please keep us posted with any developments- always love to hear success stories.
There were a couple of indications but rewrite was left to me. Thanks for being so encouraging! since I replied I've had another rejection which however gave me about 2 pages of suggestions and said I could revise and resubmit. The trouble is they all want slightly different things! I loved some of the ideas from the recent agent and I am excited (in a weary kind of way!) about kicking it into shape once more over the summer. I really think it could be a good book, once the final bit falls into place!
Thoughts, you are really close now! that's exactly how it feels, the final sprint at the end of a cross country race with legs like jelly. Good luck with your agent and I hope the advice you're given is helpful!
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now »
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.