Advanced search

Bothering the publisher - how long to wait?

(5 Posts)
Abra1d Thu 12-Sep-13 16:30:29


Procrastinating Thu 12-Sep-13 14:27:24

Thanks, I will wait a bit then. I needed the sympathy Abra 1d!!

Abra1d Wed 11-Sep-13 15:23:59

Unfortunately publisher time does not run in the same way as it does in any other business. Six weeks is not very long--to them. To you, understandably, it feels like what it is in any other sphere: ages.

I would wait another week or so.

I do sympathise.

Itstartshere Wed 11-Sep-13 15:19:31

I think August is a bad time tbh! I'd say leave it a bit longer then send a polite query.

Procrastinating Thu 05-Sep-13 17:37:32

I'm writing non-fiction and after a fairly lengthy e-mail conversation a publisher asked me to do a full proposal for them. I sent the proposal over six weeks ago and have heard nothing.

I haven't been in the non-fiction world before so I'm not sure how long to leave it until I bother the publishers about this. As part of the proposal I had to give a date for completion, as time goes on that date gets more unrealistic (it was fairly unrealstic in the first place!).

Anyone have any experience of this? Should I have heard something by now or is August just a bad time? And how closely do non-fiction publishers expect you to stick to an initial deadline? I'd be grateful for any advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now