Advanced search

Bothering the publisher - how long to wait?

(5 Posts)
Procrastinating Thu 05-Sep-13 17:37:32

I'm writing non-fiction and after a fairly lengthy e-mail conversation a publisher asked me to do a full proposal for them. I sent the proposal over six weeks ago and have heard nothing.

I haven't been in the non-fiction world before so I'm not sure how long to leave it until I bother the publishers about this. As part of the proposal I had to give a date for completion, as time goes on that date gets more unrealistic (it was fairly unrealstic in the first place!).

Anyone have any experience of this? Should I have heard something by now or is August just a bad time? And how closely do non-fiction publishers expect you to stick to an initial deadline? I'd be grateful for any advice.

Itstartshere Wed 11-Sep-13 15:19:31

I think August is a bad time tbh! I'd say leave it a bit longer then send a polite query.

Abra1d Wed 11-Sep-13 15:23:59

Unfortunately publisher time does not run in the same way as it does in any other business. Six weeks is not very long--to them. To you, understandably, it feels like what it is in any other sphere: ages.

I would wait another week or so.

I do sympathise.

Procrastinating Thu 12-Sep-13 14:27:24

Thanks, I will wait a bit then. I needed the sympathy Abra 1d!!

Abra1d Thu 12-Sep-13 16:30:29


Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now