Talk

Advanced search

Historical novel for first novel? Crazy idea or not?

(3 Posts)
dabbler Sat 08-Oct-11 15:32:01

I am interested in an event that took place 150 years ago and involves two separate countries, neither of which are in the UK. I have lived in one of the countries and have always been interested in it's culture and history.

There is not much info on the internet about this particular subject, it's a not widely known event so I would have a certain leeway to make up events. However, I realise there will be a LOT of research necessary to get the right details and feel for the novel and that's even before I begin thinking about the storyline. I never even written a short story before let alone a novel!

Has anyone done a historical novel? Would I be taking on too much as a first time novelist? Any thoughts or ideas welcome...

wordfactory Sat 08-Oct-11 18:09:37

Historical fiction is a very popular genre and lots of debut novels are histfic. So don't worry about that.

There are lots of blogs by histfickers too...may well be worth reading some of those to steer you inthe right direction?

dabbler Sat 08-Oct-11 20:32:30

histficker - haven't heard of that before, hope I graduate to being one one day. Any pointers for where to find these blogs, wordfactory?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now