Talk

Advanced search

Need a little advice if I may?

(4 Posts)
alfiemama Mon 19-Sep-11 11:36:59

I am currently working on a picture book aimed at 4-6 year olds, approx 850 words, which I am in the process of sending to an agent.

I have two questions if I may?

1) When sending a ms to an agent of this genre, do you mark out each page for the editor?

2) The agent in question has asked for a brief intro and sample of work. Would you just send a query letter which contains a synopsis and the full ms as it is only 850 words?

Thanks for any advice.

ImperialBlether Mon 19-Sep-11 21:39:31

If they want a brief intro, I'd send a paragraph about the story and who it's aimed at (age group) and what other books that audience might like.

If they want a sample, I'd send about 1/5th of the book. Not sure how many pages you have in the book.

I've never written anything for children, so I'm not sure what you mean by marking out each page for the editor. Do you mean marking where the pictures would go? If you do, then I'd say yes, you should do that.

alfiemama Tue 20-Sep-11 12:51:27

Thanks for the advice Imperialblether.

belledechocchipcookie Wed 21-Sep-11 10:33:14

I'd send a paragraph about the story (short synopsis), include the word count and the age group it's aimed at. A sample for a novel is usually the first three chapters so for a picture book I would send it all. I wouldn't put page numbers, I'd break it up by putting it into paragraphs. If you're illustrating it as well as writing it, then I would break it up to make a dummy, using the same lay out as a printed picture book so that they can visualise it. Picture books are usually 32 pages, including the covers and first page so you need to take these into account if you're doing a dummy.

Best of luck smile Can I be nosy and ask which agent this is please? You can DM me this if you want.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now