Talk

Advanced search

First Novel Competition. Can someone advise me please?

(11 Posts)
kerrymumbles Tue 06-Sep-11 11:07:09

Is this a good idea?

I see from regulations that you are not to put your name or identifying details on any page of the manuscript? Surely that could lead to someone stealing your ideas\concepts\work?

Is it worth it? Is it safe?

Have a very good plot line don't want nicked.

thanks

belledechocchipcookie Tue 06-Sep-11 11:09:21

It looks OK but can you get a novel finished by January?

kerrymumbles Tue 06-Sep-11 11:21:11

well am over 1/2 done atm. would give me impetus.

what's to prevent anyone from stealing idea though? it's not like it's initially going directly to the publisher\agent

belledechocchipcookie Tue 06-Sep-11 11:51:53

It's highly unlikely that this will happen. I can do some asking around on Twitter for you if this helps? My followers list is full of agents and publishers so they will know whether to avoid it.

kerrymumbles Tue 06-Sep-11 12:36:47

thanks very very much belle!!

Novelist Tue 06-Sep-11 16:18:43

It looks fine. There are some pretty huge publisher/agent names attached to the event. There's nothing that can be done about someone 'stealing' your work and the truth is there are quite distinct trends where a lot of writers sell manuscripts or publish books about similar things at the same time. The only thing that would give me pause is the 35 Euro entry fee, but that does seem to be pretty standard these days with writing competitions, unfortunately.

kerrymumbles Tue 06-Sep-11 17:14:54

so that would be a good group then?

i agree about general themes but in the U.S. say, you can simply post your manuscript to yourself as a copyright (as long as you don't open the sealed envelope). Can you do that here as proof? I have a rather good and unique concept and I don't think it would generally be replicated (but what do I know?) and would hate for someone to take the general idea and run with it.

wordfactory Wed 07-Sep-11 14:14:15

kerry it is very difficult to protect a 'concept'. Yes, you can prevent someone actually regurgitating your words, but storylines? Not really.

But I shouldn't worry. Concepts are just that. It's how they're pulled off that matters. DD is currently reading a young adult book that is very similar to The Handmaid's Tale. Need Margaret Attwood worry? Nah.

belledechocchipcookie Fri 09-Sep-11 12:10:28

Mixed feedback for you from Twitter, one says go for it, the other says looks too good to be true. It looks legit to me though, sponsored by the council is always good.

Best of luck smile

ImperialBlether Sat 10-Sep-11 13:16:39

The deadline is 11th November, isn't it, so you'd better get a move on!

It's in the interest of fairness, not plagiarism, that you are told to remove your name from all documents.

Punkatheart Wed 14-Sep-11 07:19:14

Sadly, the posting and proof of ownership element is a myth. Plot is only one element of a novel and so many are respun. Even Shakespeare's plots were not original.

You have to send out manuscripts all the time as a writer. Having your name on it does not mean that the idea cannot be stolen - it is difficult to prove timeline, after all.

So trust your instincts - if you want to enter, then do it.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now