Talk

Advanced search

Pitching an idea to magazines

(6 Posts)
whatapip Sat 20-Aug-11 23:02:27

Dear all,
I've had an idea which I think would work really well in a parenting magazine, but I'm scared to pitch it anywhere only to have it stolen. Yes, I'm probably being too precious but I just have such a good feeling about this and I really want to have the chance to do if myself.
Does anyone have any advice about pitching ideas to magazines and also how to maintain ownership of an idea?

Thanks in advance!

Queenofthehill Sat 20-Aug-11 23:15:58

Email the features ed (or deputy ed) of the mag in question introducing yourself, and then a paragraph pitch of your idea. Give it a headline and then go on to a snappy synopsis of the feature. Wd it work for a particular section of the mag? Suggest that - shows you have knowledge of the publication. Have you written for mags/websites before? Links to some of your other work will give an idea of your writing style - mags tend to stick to known writers, so examples of features you've written will help the features ed decide if you're right for them. As a new writer, wd probably stand you in good stead to have three or four pitches - you will stand out as someone full of new ideas. God knows, working in magazines, we are continually on the lookout for that. Re ownership of ideas - no real way to ensure that, but maybe don't give the whole game away in your pitch, you can discuss finer details if/when you are commissioned. HTH.

Queenofthehill Sat 20-Aug-11 23:18:34

PS And follow up on that email a week or so later, along with some new ideas. Good luck!

whatapip Sun 21-Aug-11 10:46:12

Thank you very much, queenof, that's all really useful advice.

Even though the couple of articles I've had published were for quite different magazines (family history), is it worth mentioning them anyway as they're the only things I've had published?

Following your advice about pitching several ideas, I've now had a brainstorm and thought of a couple of others which I'll mention in my email.

Thanks again!

Punkatheart Sun 21-Aug-11 11:26:20

That's excellent advice from Queen. I began my journalistic career like this - no experience but a lot of ideas.

Good luck!

ameliagrey Sat 03-Sep-11 11:33:51

You can't own an idea.

sadly, IME, some eds will pinch your ideas and pass on to staff writers.

There is nothing you can do to prevent this.

The take up of pitches is around 1:20, so be prepared for rejections- but just keep trying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now