Talk

Advanced search

Guardian short story competition

(40 Posts)
schroedingersdodo Fri 20-May-11 23:28:13

For short stories about "journeys."

www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/may/14/fiction-special-short-story-competition?CMP=twt_gu

It would be great to see one fellow MNer in the magazine.

Punkatheart Sat 21-May-11 13:59:35

Have already entered. Free to enter - those three lovely words!

Good luck if you have - strange mixture of stories last year, so who knows what they are looking for?

schroedingersdodo Sat 21-May-11 23:40:09

Good luck, Punkatheart! Really hope your story is picked. I haven't entered, and I'm not sure if I can come up with a story before the deadline, so decided not to bother this year. But fingers crossed for you!

Punkatheart Sun 22-May-11 09:04:02

Come on schroed....it is worth the punt. It also means that even if you don't win, there is a new story in the world to be honed and sent out again!

I am your motivator!

schroedingersdodo Sun 22-May-11 22:04:47

Well, thanks for the motivation! I didn't want to worry about the competition because I'm working on a play, but you just gave me an idea: I can adapt the story of the play, since it is, after all, about a journey... I'm not sure I can make it on time, but it may be possible. I promise I'll try. (see? the motivation is working! At least so far)

Punkatheart Sun 22-May-11 22:29:48

HOORAH! Sounds like an inventive idea.

schroedingersdodo Sun 22-May-11 23:59:14

Let's see what happens. I'll try to keep you posted I need some kind of accountability...)

schroedingersdodo Mon 23-May-11 00:00:44

There was a "(" missing. I meant:

"I'll try to keep you posted (I need some kind of accountability...)"

Zoidberg Mon 23-May-11 21:01:10

Thanks, I hadn't heard about it (despite reading the Grauniad web site every day) and I'm going to enter. Had been reworking a story that fits the journeys theme anyway so now have somewhere for it to go.

Punkatheart Thu 26-May-11 17:23:14

Finished? Sent it?

(cracks whip)

Zoidberg Fri 27-May-11 12:16:33

I know schroedingersdodo was the one asking for accountability, but can I just say I've done mine (polishes smug halo). Read it for the umpteenth time this morning, was contemplating sending it earlier, or giving it one more look later on the train home from work. Think I'll just send it. Or wait.

Punkatheart Fri 27-May-11 12:44:52

Gold star. Don't procrastinate too long but it also doesn't hurt, if you are not sure, to put it away for a day or so. Then go back and look at it again.

But well done for doing it!!

Come on schroed.....(drums fingers on desk)

Zoidberg Fri 27-May-11 13:31:24

Thanks, it's nice to share having done things, I don't enough.
I have emailed it.

Come on shroed grin

Punkatheart Fri 27-May-11 13:53:14

Why not google some competitions? Make a list and try and enter some. Keep a record to motivate yourself. But don't be disillusioned if you don't win - just dust off the story and send it out again.....

schroedingersdodo Fri 27-May-11 16:51:19

Noooo, I hadn't! Haven't even started writing, shame on me! I have a one yo DS and can't concentrate for more than 30 seconds without being interrupted (or having the TV on <bad mum emoticon>).

I also have a deadline for a job that I shouldn't have accepted, that's stressing me and eating all my time.

Yes, I'm moaning... Thanks you two, I now feel I have to do something or I'll be very ashamed smile

Well done Zoid! You have reason to be smug!

[sits in the corner of the room, embarrassed]

Punkatheart Fri 27-May-11 17:03:50

No television for you. That is the naughty corner!

You do have a lot on your plate...but when the little one is in bed......

schroedingersdodo Fri 27-May-11 20:50:34

the tv was for ds... That's why I'm a bad mum... It's the only way to keep him still for a few minutes. But then the noise annoys me. smile

Punkatheart Fri 27-May-11 23:03:49

You are not a bad mum. Just a tired one.

Have you thought about using a journey you have made with your little one - then inventing a character, rather than your own. A struggling mother making the smallest of journeys, a trip to a house with bad memories....there is a lot of scope. If you can incorporate your experiences as a mother, it could be rather special....

schroedingersdodo Fri 27-May-11 23:46:09

hm, that's a good idea. I thought of writing about all the new experiences of the last year, but haven't got my head round yet. Think it's all still a bit recent...
(haven't finish dinner yet as DS only slept at 11pm and dh and i spent 4 hours with him, apart frombthe time at 10pm I was doing an interview over the phone. Yes, I'm whining)
but I'm fine now. Just settled ds for the 54th time and going to have cake! smile

ninah Sat 28-May-11 11:54:20

I think it was very good of you to put the link up shroed. And jeez you sound busy. It's hard when dc are so little. I work in an eyfs setting and just as one group are looking at joining reception we get the rising 3s in and whheee ... even in months you forget how labour intensive they are. It gets easier quicker than you think it will though smile.
Hope you get some writing time soon, or just a good night's sleep.
I've got too much on my plate to enter, also - but good luck to zoid and anyone else!

Punkatheart Fri 03-Jun-11 19:29:18

13th June closing date.....come on!!!

Threadworm8 Fri 03-Jun-11 19:46:33

I entered this last year. Didn't get anywhere. But it was an excellent stimulus to write a story, which I subsequently entered successfully into a smaller competition. These comps are wonderful ways of focussing the mind. I haven't got any time this year, unfortunately, and the "journey" theme doesn't trigger anything much for me.

MurielTheActor Mon 06-Jun-11 14:39:28

Sent it off just now...
Most important for me is having deadline and sticking to it, managing to come up with an idea, making it work, finishing it and finally sending it off.
That's self satisfaction enough... <she lied> <no really....>

MyLittleWerewolf Wed 08-Jun-11 20:02:12

Hang on, the closing date is when ? I thought it was the end of June. gnaws fist

I've had an idea dragging itself around my head for this competition for the last three weeks but procrastination and, like schroedinger, a lively one year old who is the equivilant of Toddler Dynamite. Why does she need to rummage in everything ? Why was there a carrot stick in my boot this morning ?

Will try to get this done, or at least the bare bones of it down now.

CatPower Thu 09-Jun-11 11:20:12

Well, I've only gone and bloody entered.

I rejigged a short story I wrote a while back. Whilst I know it won't get anywhere, I'm really really really pleased I got my act together and entered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now