Talk

Advanced search

Anyone out there writing scripts?

(6 Posts)
moomiemoo Sun 17-Apr-11 14:05:24

I've always wanted to write a novel but really struggled to get beyond the first couple of chapters so DH (who is a writer but in a very different field) suggested I try my hand at scripts. I turned a novel idea into the first episode of a series and sent it off to the BBC Writers Room last year. They gave it a full read and I got excellent feedback which is amazing considering they only do this with around 5% of the 20,000 scripts they get a year [showoff emoticon]

They have also asked me to submit my next script and they will guarantee it a full read.

I found the process of script writing so much easier than novel writing - it seems to lend itself much more to the way my brain works and I like being able to piece together a script as it goes.

So, I am now working on a script to send to them which will probably end up being film length (although originally started off as the first hour of a six part series). I'm enjoying the process but finding it more difficult than last time because I'm starting the ideas from scratch. I wondered if anyone else was doing anything similar and writing a script for TV or film?

SkinittingFluffyBunnyBonnets Sun 17-Apr-11 21:06:53

Me! I write scripts, my first radio play was shortlisted for a biggish award via BBC Writersoom...got pipped to the post....(bugger them) but I have had commissions for my comedy sketches quite a few times for BBC Radio 4.

I have also had a short play on in a Manchester theatre and am now working on a stage play.

Have you tried radio plays? The appetite for them is huge in comparison to TV....as BBC Radio 4 have them on so regularly. Listen Again is good for a catch up if you dont have time to hear them daily.

moomiemoo Tue 19-Apr-11 18:35:03

So there are two of us!!

Congratulations on your success with the writersroom and well done the commissions - do you mainly write comedy?

Great idea about the radio 4 scripts and I will definitely try a couple on listen again. They do say write what you know and I know very little about radio!

I had a bit of a breakthrough this weekend on plot so I'm hoping to get the first draft of my next script finished by the end of the Easter weekend if I get enough time without child shaped interruptions.

SkinittingFluffyBunnyBonnets Tue 19-Apr-11 20:25:11

Not mostly comedy no, my drama usually has a comic element though. I'm struggling with my play at the moment as I keep doubting it...I'm actually thinking of scrapping what I've done and starting a new one this evening.

Radio is fab once you get your head around the fact that there's no budet limits and sound effects are your only means of painting a scenic picture.

It's very liberating as you can go anywhere you like location wise...I advise listening to a few...and when you find one you like you can re-listen to it a few times.

I might give radio another bash soon...glad to hear about your breakthrough!

Frizzbonce Wed 08-Jun-11 11:43:43

moomiemoo - congratulations on the feedback for a start. It must have been very good for the Writers Room to take notice - they are inundated with scripts. SkinittingFluffyBunnyBonnets is right - there is a huge appetite for radio plays. I've written several and a few series, so my suggestion is this: Have a listen to some R4 plays and take note of the producer's name at the end of the programme. Some producers work in-house and get 80% of the output, and some are Independent Producers and have to fight for the remaining 20% of the output, so you'll stand more chance of a commission if you can get an inhouse producer. Then send the producer a few paragraphs on your idea and mention the good feedback you had before. You don't have to write the script - it's the idea they want. If the producer likes the idea you can work up an offer together. Don't be shy - producers need writers! And it's easy to find the email address - at the Beeb it's all the same - ie Ima.producer@bbc.co.uk

As for the writing, you just have to grit your teeth and bang out the crappy first draft so you have something to work with. Which is of course what I should be doing now - after I've had a cup of coffee. And folded the ironing. And er . . . .sharpened my pencils.

wordfactory Thu 09-Jun-11 10:48:23

I'm a novelist...but I have started dipping my toes into the script water. Had a play produced on radio and trying to work on other projects.

Interestingly, though I began writing books with no expereince other than having read them grin i feel like I ought to know more about the scriptwriting craft...perhaps it is just the lack of comfort zone speaking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now