Talk

Advanced search

Need some virtual kicks in the arse....

(9 Posts)
KerryMumbles Wed 24-Nov-10 12:56:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cantseeforlookin Wed 24-Nov-10 22:20:22

Try hypnotherapy - worked for DD and got it all flowing!! (grown up and married !) who is now penning her first blockbuster - by the way, how did you get the book deal? I think she needs to get an agent but havn't a clue how we can go about this.

Litchick Wed 24-Nov-10 22:27:22

cantsee - getting an agent is difficult as they are inundated daily with submissions.

However the good news is that a very large proportion of those subs are terrible.
So good work will stand out.
The other piece of good news is that despte the down turn in the book trade, agents are always on the look out for new writers.

First, your DD needs to finish her book and get it as good as it can be.

Second, she needs to prepare a subs package. A snappy covering letter, a synopsis, and her first fifty pages or three chapters.

Then she subs. And steels herself. And waits.

Litchick Wed 24-Nov-10 22:29:02

kerry - I'm always up against rotten deadlines and find that I actually work much better this way.

Given no time limit, I will faff.

How about imposing a deadline upon yourself.

First draft by say, January?
A month to polish.
Etc.

cantseeforlookin Wed 24-Nov-10 23:00:19

Thanks Litchick - do you have to copyright your work when you send it off to an agent like you do with song lyrics for instance? DD is bit worried someone with nick her book idea!

Litchick Thu 25-Nov-10 09:10:12

No.
To be honest, agents are not interested in nicking ideas.
There are always far too many good ones out there for them to bother.

Litchick Thu 25-Nov-10 09:10:48

Once it's published there is copyright.

KerryMumbles Thu 25-Nov-10 13:18:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ShanahansRevenge Sat 27-Nov-10 00:26:10

Think of lovely Rohl Dahl who wrote in the garden shed all wrapped up in a blankie! He liked it apparently....reminded him of being a boy.

I know what it's like writing in a cold house...hard....put loads of clothes on...hot drink...thinking hat which doubles as warm hat and off you go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now