Talk

Advanced search

Irish passport

(13 Posts)
wannabebetter Thu 29-Nov-18 20:50:15

Can I get one? Sounds a simple situation & probably v common, but I can't find an answer anywhere!! I was born in England but have lived in N Ireland for 25 years, married 12 years to born & bred N Irishman, have 1 DS born in NI. Obviously DH & DS are entitled to Irish passports, but am I?

WipsGlitter Thu 29-Nov-18 20:56:52

You might get some answers here:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/movingcountry/irishh_citizenship/whocann_becomeann_irish_citizen.html

Costacoffeeplease Thu 29-Nov-18 20:56:57

Sorry, but unless you or a parent or grandparent was born in Ireland, I think you’re out of luck

wannabebetter Thu 29-Nov-18 21:03:35

Really? Seems a bit unfair that folk with an Irish parent who've never even visited are eligible but living here half my life (and contributing to economy) doesn't count confused but I had suspected that as been unable to find anything saying I was eligible....

Amara123 Thu 29-Nov-18 21:07:07

I think you're eligible through marriage maybe? Note that the wording is 'island of Ireland" which includes NI.

www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/becoming_an_irish_citizen_through_marriage.html

WipsGlitter Thu 29-Nov-18 21:07:33

5 years “reckonable residence” in the State to be considered for naturalisation, or at least 3 years if you are married to an Irish citizen.

schopenhauer Thu 29-Nov-18 21:10:07

I believe that if you have lived on the island of Ireland for theee years and are married to an Irish citizen younare eligible for a passport.

wannabebetter Thu 29-Nov-18 21:16:46

From that link looks like I'd have to apply for citizenship first with €175 and €950 fees!! Am I reading that right?

WipsGlitter Thu 29-Nov-18 21:17:51

Looks like it.

wannabebetter Thu 29-Nov-18 21:34:13

Fucks sake....angry

LivLemler Thu 29-Nov-18 22:05:43

You get a passport to a country because you're a citizen. It's proof of citizenship. So no, you can't get a passport if you're not already a citizen.

Good luck with your decision - I'm in the same boat, but Irish living in the UK and pondering whether I should investigate citizenship.

endofthelinefinally Thu 29-Nov-18 22:14:52

You have to be granted citizenship first.
All the information is on the Irish embassy website.
It is a straight forward but somewhat lengthy process. You need to collect all the documents and find a suitable person to sign your application.
Once you get your citizenship certificate you can apply for your passport.
Yes there is a fee, but citizenship is a valuable asset.

HorseOutside Thu 29-Nov-18 22:22:41

OP yes, those figures are correct and the amount of documentation you need is a pain to sort out. I'm trying to do mine at the moment.
You won't be eligible on the grounds of marriage unless your DH already has an Irish passport so if he hasn't got one he needs to sort that out first. You need three years proof of residency if applying via marriage to an Irish citizen, five years otherwise.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »