Talk

Advanced search

What nice Irish stuff should I send to Spain?

(32 Posts)
BlackAmericanoNoSugar Tue 14-Aug-18 17:02:28

DS is going to stay with a Spanish family for a week. What nice treats could I send. Would biscuits and jam be appropriate? I don’t want to send chocolate as it’s hot there so I think it would spoil.

OP’s posts: |
Ohhbollix Tue 14-Aug-18 17:05:17

Soda bread? Kimberly Biscuits and Mikado? I would say black and white pudding but I’m not sure you’d get that in to Spain successfully. Also chance it with the chocolate for some proper Irish Cadbury’s

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Tue 14-Aug-18 17:10:43

I think Kimberly and Mikado are more for Irish ex-pats than non-Irish (because they don’t actually taste that nice they just remind you of childhood). 😀 Soda bread might be a good one though.

TakeAChanseyOnMe Tue 14-Aug-18 17:12:32

Blood sausages are common in Spain and Portugal, probably more widely eaten than in Ireland!

Tayto? When I visited a guest when I was younger I brought a candle from Belleek, it wasn’t overly expensive.

lplo Tue 14-Aug-18 17:15:07

Soda bread and potato bread

OwThatsGottaHurt Tue 14-Aug-18 17:22:55

Ballymaloe relish.

ThereIsIron Tue 14-Aug-18 17:26:33

Tayto Cheese and Onion crisps ... Lots of them grin

Ohhbollix Tue 14-Aug-18 21:05:28

I think Kimberly and Mikado are more for Irish ex-pats than non-Irish (because they don’t actually taste that nice they just remind you of childhood). 😀 Soda bread might be a good one though.

Haha I agree - I hate Kimberly biscuits! You can’t tell that to my MiL though!

SleightOfMind Tue 14-Aug-18 21:07:12

Barry’s tea?

Hangingaroundtheportal Tue 14-Aug-18 21:07:19

Tayto Crisps and Club Orange.

Not Kimberly or Mikado biscuits, they are vile!

Ohhbollix Tue 14-Aug-18 21:08:03

Oh I just thought; how about some Barmbrack? Barrys tea?

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Tue 14-Aug-18 21:08:36

Oooh, barmbrack, perfect.

Ohhbollix Tue 14-Aug-18 21:09:55

And it actually tastes nice!

BlackBeltInChildWrangling Tue 14-Aug-18 21:13:44

Me!

I'd quite like to be sent to Spain at the moment.

grin

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Tue 14-Aug-18 21:18:17

grin BlackBelt

dueanotherchange Thu 16-Aug-18 12:00:29

Those of you who said you don't like Mikados are wrong wrong wrong. What sort of people are you??

My English born daughter discovered them this summer and is beside herself (and very cross we can't get them in the UK).

They don't travel though. Tea and a nice barmbrack is a much better idea.

Ohhbollix Thu 16-Aug-18 13:52:09

dueanotherchange I think you can get Mikado in the Irish section of Morrisons and some independent shops sell them - but that may be because we are in London.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Thu 16-Aug-18 13:54:46

I have seen Mikado in the UK but they weren’t called Mikado, they were Jam Somethings. Kimberly still had the same name.

dueanotherchange Thu 16-Aug-18 13:57:34

@Ohhbollix I'm in London but not near a Morrisons....I do sometimes go past a big one though on my way to somewhere else. I might pop in and have a look!

I miss the Irish shop in East Dulwich. She was great for things like that. And flour.

Ohhbollix Thu 16-Aug-18 14:10:55

I have seen Mikado in the UK but they weren’t called Mikado, they were Jam Somethings

Yes, Jam Mallows I think? I'll ask MiL where she buys them and report back.

soupforbrains Thu 16-Aug-18 14:14:57

Exy Ozys, Kimberly, Mikado, soda farls, potato bread. not exactly exotic but they're all the things I get cross about not being able to buy grin

especially soda farls, proper good soda farls. mmmmmmmmm

EleanorLavish Fri 17-Aug-18 06:12:48

What the heck are exy ozys??

EleanorLavish Fri 17-Aug-18 06:13:45

Just googled, I have never heard of these!

Aquiver Fri 17-Aug-18 06:20:08

@dueanotherchange I miss the Irish shop too! Was just chatting to a colleague about there yesterday. Remember all the the CDs in the window too? 

@BlackAmericanoNoSugar Definitely Ballymaloe!

almondfinger Fri 17-Aug-18 07:20:36

I'd much rather a nice candle then some foodie stuff. Then again Spanish food is my least fav, if it was a French or Italian exchange I would be hoping for a hamper of goodies.

DS cant turn up with a 6 pack of tayto!!! If you must go food how about a round of Gubeen or Cahel Blue, Sheridans crackers (which in my opinion are overpriced cardboard) and a jar of Ballymaloe? But what then if they don't like cheese?

Are you a baker, could you bake a soda bread or brown bread to send over?

Beleek candle unsented, bottle of Jameson, or a decent fruit cake?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in