Advanced search

Where to go to get DC diagnosed?

(19 Posts)
Nonotmenori Sat 11-Aug-18 20:55:12

Hi all,

We have reason to believe to DC may have ADHD. Where in the republic can we go to so we can have it or whatever else it could be diagnosed? We're in the west of Ireland, but happy to drive.


Nonotmenori Tue 14-Aug-18 20:38:58


Leela96 Wed 15-Aug-18 11:01:09

Hi OP,

Have you been to your GP?

You will need a referral from them to see a consultant & they should be able to advise you on who you need to see.

The HSE website has info on getting various conditions diagnosed, so have a look on there .

If you need to wait on a public appointment the waiting lists are long .

If you are going private, there shouldn't be much of a waiting list . But if your GP refers to a Psychiatrist there may be a bit of a wait as I know there are shortages in paediatric psychiatrists in some parts of the country.

The cost of going private is also an issue , expect to pay circa €750- €1000.

Leela96 Wed 15-Aug-18 11:05:13

Sorry I should also have mentioned CAMHS . This is the child & adolescent mental Heath services (CAMHS) within the HSE. If you can access CAMHS they will provide assessment & treatment services .

Again you need your GP to refer you

Nonotmenori Thu 16-Aug-18 19:00:13

Hi Leeya,

Thanks for replying. I'll be honest, our GP there isn't very good. I won't get into it, but we're in the backend of nowhere so not much choice. Would it worth coming to England and getting it done that way? Or try via the hse?

RavenWings Thu 16-Aug-18 19:04:36

I can recommend the Adult and Child Therapy Centre in Dublin, if you'd travel there. Been very good to work with in my experience as a teacher. You would have to pay though.

Leela96 Thu 16-Aug-18 19:32:46

I'm in Ireland too so don't know about the UK but there should be no need to go to the UK .

Don't accept being fobbed off my your GP, insist on a referral to CAMHS.

Failing that change to another GP

Minniemagoo Thu 16-Aug-18 19:43:10

If your child is in school, the school can complete an assessment of need application which is sent to the relevant HSE area child team. There is a time scale which they then have to provide a psychological assessment.

Nonotmenori Fri 17-Aug-18 00:01:12

Thanks for the replies all. Yes my DC is in school. The behaviour in school differs greatly from that at home. We're at our wits end to be honest. I'll find the money if I have too. I was even thinking of going to Harley street clinic until I saw the cost shock

I just want some recommendations anywhere in Eire as I'll drive anywhere if it gets us peace of mind thanksgin

Leela96 Fri 17-Aug-18 16:23:42


Have a look on the Psychological Society of Ireland website and you should be able to find a private psychologist in your region.

I'm not a medical expert but if your DC are behaving in school are you sure ADHD is the issue, as the behaviours associated with ADHD should arise in school too - inattentiveness, hyperactivty, implusiveness.

Again, I'd encourage you to get your GP to refer you to CAMHS.

Leela96 Fri 17-Aug-18 16:25:11


Have you posted on any Irish forums asking for recommendations?

Clairetree1 Fri 17-Aug-18 16:25:32

be careful that you don't end up paying for a very expensive assessment that the school will not accept.

This happens a lot

Best to ask the school for advice

AmabelleOnabike Fri 17-Aug-18 16:30:04

Also in the West of Ireland but I would go to any GP I wanted. Our closest GP is rubbish too so if I were you I would get a recommendation for a progressive, active GP and dsee them. Unless you have a medical card? In which case you probably are stuck with the local one but you could always pay to see another. And be assertive about asking for a referral surely its none of their business if you want to pay the exorbitant prices to see a specialist!

Minniemagoo Fri 17-Aug-18 22:14:17

My son needed a psycologist report and the HSE referred him to a private one as their list was too long and the law says it has to be done within a timeframe . They were a group called Philemon in Maynooth and he was brilliant if you wanted to look at private options (DS was delayed communication with no other issues), DD who has ASD saw the HSE psycologist. Both were referred throigh the Assessment of Need. Your Public Health nurse, GP and School can all refer. I would push to go thos route as a private assessment withoit going through the AON may not be accepted for supports down the line as a previous poster has said.

Nonotmenori Sun 19-Aug-18 00:40:46

Sorry for the late reply.

Well we're not sure , but the child is showing signs of ADHD so we would like to get them tested just for peace of mind if anything. I'll have a look at all that's been suggested so thank you all very much x

BaronessBlonde Mon 20-Aug-18 23:12:34

Have just seen your post @Nonotnenori .

As previous posters have said , there's really no need to travel to the UK for an assessment.
Your options are :
1. Public/HSE are/he is entitled to an Assessment of Need from the HSE.
He should be seen within 3 months.

That system is under pressure at the moment, and HSE tends to outsource to private practitioners.
Even if you decide to go privately, it's probably worthwhile pursuing it with HSE also.

Your GP (and I see that they are not supportive...not their decision, really) can refer him to local CAMHS services. CAMHS services nationwide have been there are long wait times.

2. Go private.
Again, as someone has said upthread, take some care to research a good Psychologist, as you want the report to be accepted by HSE and school.
School would probably be able to direct you toward someone local to you.
Alternatively, you can look at the list of approved Psychologist from here.

You can claim the cost of an assessment against your tax (Med1) and possibly on private health insurance (depends on scheme).

ILikTheBred Sat 25-Aug-18 12:31:38

Late to this thread OP but here are my two cents as a parent of an ASD / ADHD child:

1. Look at the website, particularly this guide: [[ A-Z of ADHD ]]

2. Be aware that not all psychologists are qualified to diagnose ADHD. Also if you are looking to use public services down the line many of them will not accept a psychologist’s diagnosis so be very careful who you pick. I haven’t gone down this route but HADD may be able to point you in the right direction.

3. If you think you will end up medicating your child you will need a medical person, most likely a specialist (psychiatrist) to review / diagnose your child. I will PM my experience of this.

4. Educate yourself in advance on the condition, the diagnosis methodology (DSM V) and treatment types so that you are not going in cold.

5. Be aware that a lot of the professionals are big on diagnoses but less so on practical help and that in my (quite bitter) experience if you are expecting the person diagnosing your child to provide advice on ‘what now’ you are likely to be disappointed. Hence the advice at step 4.

6. HADD has a closed Facebook group (posts by and to the group will not be visible outside the group) which can be useful.

Good luck OP and remember to trust your instincts and that you know your child better than anyone.

purplecorkheart Sat 25-Aug-18 12:42:17

What area of Ireland are you in? I know someone who used the Sunflower Clinic in Cork. There report was accepted by the School etc.

Nonotmenori Fri 05-Oct-18 15:47:57

Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies and places. The school contracted us earlier with a concern and will be getting a specialist in to see DC. They don't think DC has ADHD, but there is a concern. So we will see what happens I guess.

Thanks again

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: