Talk

Advanced search

Advice about Limerick

(10 Posts)
justilou1 Fri 12-Jan-18 02:35:55

We may be moving to Limerick from Australia. I am looking for advice on areas to live, schools for my kids 13, 11 & 11, the likelihood of finding a place to rent when we have a dog.... Any advice would be gratefully received!

Maryz Sat 13-Jan-18 02:30:03

I saw your other thread and thought I'd come over here to give advice instead. I see your husband is in sport, which probably means you are going to have something to do with University of Limerick which is a fantastic university, with an even better sports centre for lots of different sports.

Limerick itself is what you make of it. It's a city, not as big as Cork or Dublin, but a city all the same with many different areas, lots of schools and lots to do.

If you have 11 year olds, you are looking at only one year of primary (they usually start secondary school the September after their 12th birthday), so if I was you I'd look at secondary schools first. Most areas have a local Catholic school; if you are Anglican of some type you might look at Villiers. Otherwise have a look at this boards.ie thread - I don't know anything about schools, but most Irish secondary schools are much of a muchness, and few are really poor.

As to dogs - the rental market is expensive at the moment, and landlords can pick and choose, but I know lots of people who rent with pets. It doesn't seem to be as much of a problem as it seems to be on MN.

Maryz Sat 13-Jan-18 02:31:35

Sorry that boards thread is very old.

I'll try to find something newer tomorrow.

justilou1 Sat 13-Jan-18 08:28:54

Thank you Mary! Your advice about the schools is very helpful!

Aghaidh Sat 13-Jan-18 09:47:26

That other thread got a bit silly, didn’t it!
I grew up in Limerick, been gone a while now but still have friends and immediate family there. For secondary schools, there are only three that are co-ed, which would probably suit you best coming from the Australian system. Villiers in town, Crescent in Dooradoyle, and Castletroy College in Castletroy. Of those, I think that Castletroy College currently has the best reputation. Villiers didn’t have a fantastic rep for stretching kids academically (at least it didn’t in my brother’s time there), but I think it’s come on a lot since. Crescent and Castletroy both have a very strong emphasis on sport, and if any of your kids play rugby, they’ll be very happy there.

One thing to watch out for is the exemption for having to learn the Irish language. Your older two should be fine, but the 11 year old is right on the threshold. Make sure you check that with the school in advance.

Most of my family live in Castletroy, Monaleen and Annacotty, and they’re all fine areas. Some of the estates closer to the university are a bit studenty, but they’re easily identifiable. Use www.daft.ie to get an idea of property prices and find places to rent.

Best of luck!

justilou1 Sat 13-Jan-18 10:15:43

Thanks again - and Yes, Adhaidh - it got a bit weird. It was AIBU, so I kind of expect that a bit.... I will check out the schools you mentioned and start from there! (I do love the look of Adare, too - it's so cutesy, but I'm not sure how well it would cater to a large family, etc). Let's be honest, I'm just about ready to dig out my passport and come and check the place out myself!

BarleysFiddle Sat 13-Jan-18 10:59:16

I live a 10-15 minute drive from Castletroy and work in the city so contact me if you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer.

I've only read half of the first page of your other thread but the responses are ridiculous. Stab City is long gone, though there have been a few recent incidents. Really no more than you'd get in any other city though.

A lot of work has gone into the city recently, especially near the river. I love living so near it that I can pop in for an hour and do what I want.

Castletroy College has a great reputation as mentioned above, but if you go on schooldays.ie you can review all the recent School Evaluations for any school you're interested in.

MarDhea Sat 13-Jan-18 14:12:34

Great advice already but I'd say it's not necessarily true any more that most kids start secondary the Sept after their 12th birthday. They're more likely to be 12.5-13 when starting secondary (after starting primary at 4.4-5), so your 11 year old may have 2 years of primary left rather than 1. Unlike the UK, school year is not strictly determined by age, so you may even have a choice depending on where he best fits academically.

It looks like Castletroy also has a new Educate Together secondary school starting this Sept, which would offer an option of you don't want a catholic school. It's one of the few non-denominational secondaries in the country so it's worth checking the catchment area if you're interested! https://www.educatetogether.ie/limerick-etss

justilou1 Sat 13-Jan-18 22:52:26

Wonderful advice again! I thank you so much. I'm getting quite excited about it all now. (Was a bit hmm about the weather after living in NL, but I am okay with it after experiencing a couple of 44' days here in Oz lately. At least you can do something when you're cold!)

MarDhea Sun 14-Jan-18 13:50:24

Yeah, weather in Ireland sucks - no denying it. But IMO it only really sucks for 2-3 months of the year Nov-Jan when it's dark as well as wet. And the upside is having it light til 10:30-11pm at the height of summer. grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: