Talk

Advanced search

Accommodation near Dublin airport.

(18 Posts)
Bodear Wed 29-Nov-17 22:52:21

I need to find some longer term (6 months +) accommodation near Dublin airport that is not awful and depressing but not horrifically expensive either. Up to an hour away in any direction would be fine. Does anyone have any ideas? I’ve started looking and I’m surprised at how expensive housing seems to be shock

BrandNewHouse Wed 29-Nov-17 22:57:44

Up to an hour gets you a big circle.
What’s the budget/needs?

Bodear Thu 30-Nov-17 08:45:45

From what I’ve seen online so far the budget looks like it’ll have to be €1500pcm which is more than I was expecting but not impossible. I’m not too fussy but would rather avoid a room in shared house as I’d like my own space (and bathroom!). I will need parking. I need to move in mid January and I quite like rural locations but in the grand scheme of things it’s not long term so I really am pretty open. Sorry, I’m not sure that’s much help!

MarDhea Fri 01-Dec-17 18:48:20

Where have you been looking online, OP? Daft.ie and myhome are probably the best bet.

1500 pm should go a long way if you look north into Meath rather than just Dublin, but wanting to rent for 6 months rather than 12 will make it harder.

BrandNewHouse Sat 02-Dec-17 07:26:23

touch.daft.ie/louth/houses-for-rent/dunleer/cluide-dunleer-louth-1794523

How about this. Close to the M1and 40 minutes to the airport . Close to the sea. Ask for a discount and get a good price. Plenty of people will commute from there into the city.

BrandNewHouse Sat 02-Dec-17 07:29:50

or this

treaclesoda Sat 02-Dec-17 07:35:59

An hour away could take you over the border to Newry where housing is much cheaper?

eloisesparkle Sat 02-Dec-17 09:55:12

'....up to an hour away.....'
An hour away at rush hour morning and evening is totally different from an hour away at other times. Traffic can be awful.

eloisesparkle Sat 02-Dec-17 14:05:55

'.....up to an hour away....'
This can mean living in very different places if you are travelling during morning and evening rush hours. Traffic really impacts on commuting times and it can be horrendous around the M50, I know I am stating the bleeding obvious but do factor it in and do a trial run before deciding.

Bodear Mon 04-Dec-17 08:39:08

Hi all, thanks for your replies. Frustratingly I’m going to be doing shift work but don’t know what times they’ll be so need to err on the side of caution with commuting. Does the m1 get very congested does anyone know? Newry might be a great idea; bring over the border would making taking a car much easier! I’ve bern looking at daft but will look at myhome too. Thanks all smile

treaclesoda Mon 04-Dec-17 10:11:14

The M1 is busy definitely, but in my experience the traffic flows not too badly most of the time. It flows much better from Newry to the north of Dublin than eg the traffic in and out of Belfast, or the M50 round Dublin. I can't be sure what it would be like as a daily commute as I've never done that. But lots of people do commute from that area so it's definitely a possibility.

treaclesoda Mon 04-Dec-17 10:12:32

If you want to look around Newry the websites you'd be best looking at are

propertypal.com and propertynews.com.

WhatchaMaCalllit Mon 04-Dec-17 13:17:45

Are you focussed on renting rather than buying? The reason that I'm asking is that there are properties (houses) around the Glasnevin/Finglas (Dublin 11) area, which backs onto the airport so no requirement for motorway driving, that are available to buy and the monthly repayments wouldn't be more than €1500 per month.

For example - www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/106-sycamore-road-glasnevin-dublin-11/4155237

Just a thought.

littlewoollypervert Mon 04-Dec-17 13:21:55

Where are you going to be working (location) - along the M1? (horrendous traffic towards Dublin in the morning and in the opposite direction in the pm)

Airport? Swords etc? That could make a huge difference in suggestions of where to live. Could you go for Air BNB for a few weeks before committing to a particular area?

Bodear Mon 04-Dec-17 17:11:14

Once I’m through the probation period I’ll be looking to buy but need to rent to start. Job is at the airport.

eloisesparkle Mon 04-Dec-17 20:53:01

Horrendous traffic

WhatchaMaCalllit Wed 06-Dec-17 12:25:26

Genuinely, I'd be thinking along the lines of Glasnevin/Griffith Ave/Santry/Finglas (Charlestown & Meakstown areas).

www.daft.ie has a good search on places to rent as well as places to buy. I wouldn't recommend looking further than say Balbriggan in North County Dublin for a commute to the Airport as you'd be spending your life travelling and stuck in traffic.

Good luck with your search.

Bodear Wed 06-Dec-17 21:24:31

Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now