Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

A really good breac recipe

(12 Posts)
Luxembourgmama Thu 26-Oct-17 08:20:51

Hi, I want to make breac last week but i've had so many nasty dry ones. One year I made a truly amazing one but of course I can't remember where I got the recipe. I know that one involved soaking the fruit in tea overnight. Has anyone got a good one they want to share?

Rinceoir Thu 26-Oct-17 08:24:57

Dónal Skeha's version is lovely. It's an incredibly wet dough but makes lovely fruity moist braeac. Rachel Allen's version is good too- more of a bread than Dónal's.

Rinceoir Thu 26-Oct-17 08:25:36

Skehan obviously!

TyrionLannistersShadow Thu 26-Oct-17 08:27:21

I always use the Odlums tea brack recipe, easy and tastes gorgeous. You soak the fruit in tea over night. www.odlums.ie/recipes/tea-brack/

loveisanopensore Fri 27-Oct-17 17:02:26

warmsnugfat.com/?p=581

I've been using this Darina Allen one for years. It's lovely.

dublinia Sat 28-Oct-17 09:41:02

I hate breac- well the one you can buy in shops.
DRY, yuck.
But a tea brack is a different class of a thing altogether- deliciously moist.

FlaviaAlbia Sat 28-Oct-17 10:07:51

Oh, I've been nosing at this thread and now I don't know which one to make smile I might make Darina Allen's and Odlums and have a taste test.

Procrastination4 Tue 31-Oct-17 09:18:26

I make this one all the time-as you can see from the battered state of it! It’s been taped into my old Home Ec. book for over 20yrs and came from the Sunday Independent originally, I think. It’s really nice and is pretty easy to make too. I use cold tea, not stout.

MulhuddartDrive Tue 31-Oct-17 22:59:21

I don't usually like Donal Skeahan but my god his breac is a good 'un. <licks lips>

Littlegreyauditor Sat 04-Nov-17 20:43:41

Just saw this, excellent. I was recently bemoaning the lack of a decent breac in the entire county of Derry. I used to get a brilliant lobed one, with crunchy sugar on it, when I lived in Belfast, but there is nothing but dry, sparsely fruited, generally unappealing ones round here.

Am now going to try making one myself.

MadMags Sat 04-Nov-17 20:46:46

I hate breac but I miss getting the ring sad

MulhuddartDrive Sat 04-Nov-17 20:58:41

I was going out with (now) dh about 3 years and nearly left him over the ring in the breac. Engagement was clearly in our future, but he made some awful piss take of offering me the ring from the breac that I thought was serious, then immediately realised wasn't. Haven't eaten a breac with a ring in it since. but I did eventually get a nice sparkly one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now