Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Women and Pension

(9 Posts)
dublinia Wed 18-Oct-17 11:01:12

So Regina Doherty has acknowledged the pension anomaly re women who stayed at home to rear children (who will then enter the workforce and help support the country) is unfair but...'
If the politicians were losing out, a bill would be rushed through the Dail, no bother.
Appalling.
As is the treatment of my over 90 year old mother who can't get a state pension despite having worked pre her marriage in the early 1950's, once married she had to give up work. My dad paid his taxes.
She reared three children who pay tax.
I am so sad on her behalf.
It is so unfair.

dublinia Wed 18-Oct-17 21:04:38

Anyone else's Mum affected ?

MulhuddartDrive Wed 18-Oct-17 22:45:03

My mum had to give up her civil service job on marriage. She worked for two further years until her eldest was born. That was 40+ years ago. Her pension entitlement is pittance. It's a despicable situation for the women affected.

DailyMailDontStealMyThread Wed 18-Oct-17 22:48:36

I hadn't even thought of this! I've spent more years out of paid work within our home than in work.

I'm working now and paying in to the new pension scheme, should I pay in more just in case?

dublinia Thu 19-Oct-17 07:18:23

DailyMailDon'tStealMyThread
I would get professional advice re making extra payments into your pension
Everybody assumes older people automatically get an old age pension. Not my mother sad

Shopgirl1 Sat 04-Nov-17 21:54:15

Why is it unfair that if you didn’t contribute sufficiently via PRSI you can’t claim a pension?
I also don’t understand the issue of civil servants who had to give up work on marriage. That rule was changed in the late 70s I thought. Could they not have worked after that?
I do get the issue with occupational pensions and for example maternity leaves and part time work reducing contributions.
I genuinely don’t understand the first two so please explain.

HipToBeSquare Sun 05-Nov-17 11:14:58

So Shop you don't understand why someone who is 90 now so 50 or so in the late 1970s when out and good a job once they 'were allowed to work'.

Really? Or are you deliberately being goady because it really doesn't take too much thinking to work out the answer there.

MarDhea Sun 05-Nov-17 11:59:54

shopgirl Here's a pretty clear articlee* explaining it all, just in case you actually did forget how to use google and aren't just posting to be a GF.

OP, it doesn't affect my mother because my dad has a different occupational pension that will also cover her in the event of his death, but I remember her saying years ago that they were very lucky to have the scheme. She hasn't worked since before she was married (in her early 20s) and was well aware how screwed she could be if she had to rely on the regular state pension.

Shopgirl1 Sun 05-Nov-17 20:17:05

I have no idea what a GF is and genuinely was just asking the question....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now