Talk

Advanced search

George Hook and general misogyny in Ireland

(38 Posts)
HughLauriesStubble Fri 15-Sep-17 11:05:36

Just been reading on independent.ie that Newstalk have finally suspended George Hook for his ridiculous victim blaming comments on rape. However, I feel physically sick to read the comments supporting Hook at the bottom of the article. Seriously. Is this really indicative of the Irirsh mentality when it comes to rape? That the victims bear some sort of responsibility for what happened to them?

I'm normally laid back when it comes to news storms like this, but this one has really pissed me off, and mostly because of the public's response rather than Hook's comments (which were bad enough on thier own) angry

HughLauriesStubble Fri 15-Sep-17 11:06:01

Sorry forgot to link:

m.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/george-hook-suspended-by-newstalk-over-controversial-rape-case-comments-36134624.html

OstrichRunning Fri 15-Sep-17 11:15:16

Jesus. I'd never extrapolate from a few online comments onto an entire population! Of course this isn't indicative of 'Irish mentality when it comes to rape' whatever the hell that means.

I actually find your post bordering on offensive, tbh.

angry

HughLauriesStubble Fri 15-Sep-17 11:45:03

But it's not just a few online comments, on that article alone there are over 100 comments and 99% of these share the same opinion.

I've been reading similar views all week in other online forums, and dismissed them as general shit stirrers but was shocked to see it plain and simple there on the independent site.

HughLauriesStubble Fri 15-Sep-17 11:46:40

Sorry, I should have pointed out in my op that I have also experienced such disgusting views from people in real life, so I'm not basing what I'm saying on online comments alone.

OstrichRunning Fri 15-Sep-17 11:49:18

Yes, but that's a tiny, tiny, highly biased fraction of the Irish population! Sorry, but your reasoning doesn't work at all and I'm still finding it offensive!

WhatchaMaCalllit Fri 15-Sep-17 11:50:40

It is disgraceful

It is my belief they only suspended him as businesses were pulling their advertising from his show and from the radio station and I think they would have kept him on had these companies not wanted themselves to tainted by association if you will.

MysweetAudrina Fri 15-Sep-17 11:56:07

Yep Ireland is very misogynistic. Between the comments I have been reading to support George Hooks victim blaming and the ones I have read calling the girl, Wayne Rooney was caught with, every slag and slut slur under the sun (mostly women in both cases).

OstrichRunning Fri 15-Sep-17 12:16:36

'Ireland is very misogynistic'. Do you not see how bigoted this comment is? I'm not saying there isn't a long way to go - particularly re: repealing the eighth amendment on abortion - , but misogny is a fact of like in the UK too - and practically anywhere else in the world for that matter!). For the record:
- the gender pay gap in Ireland is below the EU average;
- Ireland ranks ninth in an EU gender equality index.

TBH, I am shocked by the bigotry in this thread.

ChampagneProdigy Fri 15-Sep-17 14:36:29

I worked for a large national semi-state company in the past that prides itself in the media on gender equality. It was a male dominated environment and there was a culture of casual misogyny under the guise of 'banter'. Tbh, some of the few women working there were as bad as the men.

Anytime a woman was promoted or praised, the men used to 'joke playfully' that it was 'the power of the panties' (a horrible derogatory term that insinuated a multitude of things). Nothing was ever done about this so called banter, and over the years, a few women complained, only to be laughed out of the manager's office and told it was the nature of the job hmm

My district manager in that job harassed and bullied me because of my pregnancy. I made numerous complaints to hr and my union, and nobody did anything about it. In the end, I had to write a personal letter to the CEO of the whole company, and only then did they tell the manager to stop (but no sanctions or disciplines for him).

So yes, I received the same pay as my male counterparts. But was I treated differently for being a woman? Absolutely.

Misogyny is alive and well in Ireland.

(this isn't by far the only experience I've had of it either, just the most extreme)

TizzyDongue Fri 15-Sep-17 14:41:39

The journal.ie is similar.

But don't despair there's many a man and woman who doesn't think this way. It's just the sad sacks seem to spend a lot of on news sites.

Misogyny is here. It's everywhere sadly.

msrisotto Fri 15-Sep-17 14:44:51

I don't know that it is especially bigoted to say that...I'd say it about most countries tbh. Unfortunately we live in misogynistic societies.

ForumUsername Sat 16-Sep-17 09:59:20

I'm actually kinda glad Hook said those things because it has caused such an outcry

I think seeing how shocked and annoyed people were by the comments show that Ireland is changing.
Having the companies pull out and support the general outrage of such comments is brilliant

Yes there are some people still in the dark ages (usually the ones commenting on articles) but more and more are questioning the old misogynistic undertones of our society!

Sometimes it takes something like this or indeed reading terrible comments for people to start to address how they feel and think about similar situations

whosafraidofabigduckfart Sun 17-Sep-17 19:11:20

I've spent the weekend arguing about this.

George Hook's comments were nasty and not the first time he's made derogatory comments about women.

I'm frankly amazed at nice people defending him.

honeyrider Sun 17-Sep-17 23:14:46

What he said was very wrong but the opportunistic bandwagon jumpers have angered me more than his comment.

whosafraidofabigduckfart Tue 19-Sep-17 21:28:17

I don't listen to George (only Sean Moncrieff), so catch a few minutes

I was furious one day. He had a female guardian journalist on who was intelligent. She made her point nicely (not the one opposite to his which he wanted)

Directly afterwards he moved into Mikey graham and completely misrepresented what the women said and they both had a good laugh.

I hate that the profession women panel on his show are referred to as the girls.

TheVeryThing Thu 21-Sep-17 12:30:08

TBh, I try to avoid reading the comments on any online article (including the guardian) as it leads me to believe that it would be better if the human race was completely eradicated.
I'm not sure the type of misogyny you're talking about is unique to Ireland (look at the Ched Evans case, for example).
I think in Ireland we have a tendency to compare ourselves too much to other nations, and we are still a bit insecure about being in some way 'backwards'.
I am slightly heartened by the outrage over George Hook's comments, although we still have a very long way to go.
I was also heartened by the recommendations of the citizens assembly on the eighth amendment, although not naive enough to think that change will be easy.

WhatchaMaCalllit Fri 22-Sep-17 15:05:52

Just after hearing in the news that he is stepping down from his lunchtime show....however he is getting the opportunity to return to the airways in December when he'll have a nice weekend slot instead.

Please just retire. Retire and leave the airways - now.

MulhuddartDrive Fri 22-Sep-17 15:39:08

I just saw it too Whatcha. I'd hazard a guess that its more face saving for the station than Hook. They seem to stand by their male presenters, if not their female. I won't be surprised when he "retires" in the next schedule shuffle (which given recent history at NT isn't far away anyway).

honeyrider Fri 22-Sep-17 16:47:02

I wonder who'll replace George with, if it's a female then it just smacks of tokenism.

FluffyNinja Fri 22-Sep-17 16:58:50

Why tokenism? Do you not think a woman capable of doing the job as well as or better?

honeyrider Fri 22-Sep-17 17:03:00

I do think there are women who are good presents and the first time I started listening to Newstalk was because I enjoyed 2 particular female presenters. The thing with George Hook started off about his rape victim blaming comments soon turned into the lack of female presenters and that became just as big if not a bigger offence.

honeyrider Fri 22-Sep-17 17:03:21

presenters

MulhuddartDrive Fri 22-Sep-17 17:27:36

Apparently Ciara Kelly is filling in for him. They have lost some excellent women presenters recently - Sarah McInerney is brilliant; Sarah Carey, while I don't like some if what she says, is very good at what she does: and Orla Barry was always worth listening to.

I think the change in the topic came about as from a report I read (can't remember where now) detailed how the culture of NT -- the lads and "bantz" -- is typified by a presenter, albeit a dinosaur, feeling able to make such statements about rape openly.

I'm really torn that Sean Moncrief is still there as I'd happily boycott all DO'B media otherwise.

eloisesparkle Fri 22-Sep-17 18:00:59

I wish all those shouting about Hook will also shout about the pathetic sentences rapists get in Ireland and the fact that once freed ( often after a pitifully short sentence ) they are not tagged.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now