Talk

Advanced search

No passport check entering UK

(29 Posts)
TrollMummy Mon 05-Jun-17 11:57:35

Is anyone else concerned about the fact that when you travel from Ireland to the U.K. by air there aren't passport checks on arrival you just zip straight through an bypass everything. I understand about the common travel area but this seems a bit lax.

OP’s posts: |
SleightOfHand Mon 05-Jun-17 12:02:19

Yes I noticed that, they always check when entering Ireland though. So basically the UK are relying on Ireland to do the check for them.

hollyisalovelyname Mon 05-Jun-17 12:08:36

You don't really notice passport control when leaving Ireland.
Queues obviously.
Coming in you go through a booth.
So yes, lax in UK, going from Ireland.

HoldMeCloserTonyDanza Mon 05-Jun-17 12:20:18

Would you like to return to the days of massive queues and security threats at the road borders?

I'm guessing not because they are a pain in the neck and utterly devastating to the local and wider economy.

What's your argument, then, for treating the air border differently to the land border? Should flights landing from Belfast going through passport control, even though they are internal UK flights? If not, what's to stop someone simply driving up from Dublin and getting a plane at BHD?

You will never get passport checks as routine between N Ireland and the rest of the UK because it's undermining the Union. It would imply NI is less than, or not fully a part of the UK. Which won't fly politically.

TrollMummy Mon 05-Jun-17 12:25:22

Glad it's not just my experience then.

Seriously, a quick glance by the at the gate on departure and then dropped off at a side door on arrival bypassing any checks hmm

In the current climate this has to change.

TrollMummy Mon 05-Jun-17 12:25:45

*By the ticket staff

MyNewBearTotoro Mon 05-Jun-17 12:36:36

There's no border checks between Scotland and England or Wales and England either.

Northern Ireland is part of the UK so people have freedom of movement between the two.

HoldMeCloserTonyDanza Mon 05-Jun-17 12:37:17

You want to throw out the Common Travel Area because of terrorist attacks? Not even Republican/loyalist attacks, but totally unrelated terrorist attacks in G Britain?

That would devastate border areas. You are putting lives at risk because the minute a border goes up on the road, it becomes a security target.

Why do you want to treat N Ireland differently to the rest of the UK?

SleightOfHand Mon 05-Jun-17 14:10:31

OP isn't taking about Northern Ireland I don't think, she's taking about Southern Ireland isn't she?

HoldMeCloserTonyDanza Mon 05-Jun-17 14:16:34

There's no such place as Southern Ireland (c'mon, I'd let it slide elsewhere, but this is craicnet!)

I know she's talking about a flight originating in Dublin. My point is that you can't treat a flight from Dublin to London differently than a train from Dublin to Belfast. Or a car journey to Asda from Carlingford to Newry.

Otherwise you are saying N Ireland isn't really a proper part of the UK. Which is a political dead-end.

You can't just handwave away the Common Travel Area. No hard borders means no hard borders, not just no hard road borders. If you start giving people on Dublin flights (which are tens of thousands of people every day - the Dublin - London corridor is the second busiest international flight route in the world) grief then you must either reinstate the road borders (which is an economic and security non-starter) or you must create a border between NI and RofUK.

MaudGonneMad Mon 05-Jun-17 14:18:12

No passport checks is the whole point of the Common Travel Area

StereophonicallyChallenged Mon 05-Jun-17 14:20:08

They definitely do a passport check at LeedsBradford airport on flights in from Dublin confused So not all airports are not checking.

I've always thought it quite lax (both directions) going to & from Holyhead to Dublin on the ferry though.

SleightOfHand Mon 05-Jun-17 14:36:28

Danza What term is it best to use then, I was on a thread a while back and Southern Ireland was no good, the Irish Republic was no good.
So why do they check our passports when flying the other way then.
I didn't notice is was Craicnet either, not that it should make a difference but still.

1bighappyfamily Mon 05-Jun-17 15:16:39

It's the Republic of Ireland or Ireland @SleightOfHand. Or Eire if you want. But Southern Ireland is an incorrect name that is only ever used in the UK.
When people ask me if I'm from Southern Ireland, I invariably say, no, I'm from Eastern Ireland.

The requirement in Dublin isn't to show passports, it's to show ID. I have, as a point of principle and being a chancer shown my driving license and got away with it.

In Dublin and any UK airport, with ALL airlines, you have to show your ID before boarding, that's where the security check is taken care of.

There is no more a boarder between the UK & Ireland than there is being Scotland and England. It's the UK airports that have it right.

SleightOfHand Mon 05-Jun-17 15:42:07

That was another one, someone said Eire was wrong, although I always put that on letters and they usually arrive. I wish I could remember what thread it was, was a few weeks ago now, no one could win! The very very green bit grin
If they like to look at a passport or ID in Irish airports then why not Birmingham too.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Mon 05-Jun-17 15:51:03

I think it's at least partly to do with the layout of Irish airports, they have relatively few internal flights and it's not worth their while setting up a separate area for those flights. So the internal flights use the same gates as the international flights, which means everyone gets routed through passport control. In the UK they have more internal flights so they have separate gates for internal flights only, which don't get routed through passport control, and the flights from Ireland are generally directed to internal-flight gates.

butterfly990 Mon 05-Jun-17 15:51:39

i wonder why this didn't get any coverage in UK.

www.rte.ie/news/2017/0123/847034-immigration-scam/

1bighappyfamily Mon 05-Jun-17 15:53:06

Well it says Eire on the front of my passport grin. And I'm going with the people who sent me that knew what they were on about.

Call it the Free State @SleightOfHand and see how that goes over.

(I'm JOKING everyone else, JOKING!)

I have no trouble with having to show ID (and you used to have to show your boarding card at LGW but they've stopped that now), but I do have a problem with that ID having to be a passport as it's not a boarder. That, however, is an issue of pedantry, and not nationalism.

I like a rule, me. And I like them to be followed correctly.

SleightOfHand Mon 05-Jun-17 16:10:15

grin

NoSugar That makes sense.

LivLemler Mon 05-Jun-17 21:17:50

Eire is fine if you also say Deutschland not Germany.

As others have said, the CTA shouldn't be undermined - this is a real risk for NI and RoI post Brexit.

TrollMummy Mon 05-Jun-17 21:24:05

Yes I am referring to travel to the UK from the Republic. I am just confused because as PPs have said there are checks coming into Ireland from the UK so the CTA rules are not being applied in the same way depending which direction you travel.

LivLemler Mon 05-Jun-17 21:30:28

As others have said, this may just be the layout of Irish airports - not as much call for domestic / CTA arrivals.

This is an interesting article that will tell you all about the Border if you're not familiar with it. This may explain to you why there are no checks on landing in the UK. Please imagine the political popularity of passport checks for unionists flying from Belfast to London. And not just politically - what about loyalist paramilitaries? It'd be super popular with them. And because of the land border, if you want passport checks at London for flights arriving from Dublin, you also need checks on flights arriving from Belfast. Or on every crossing of the land border.

bumpertobumper Mon 05-Jun-17 23:05:17

I have shown my driving license at passport control in Dublin airport arrivals - waved through fine. As pp have said it think t is because of the layout of the airport.
Just because it hasn't been mentioned yet, there are no checks either way in the ferry.

1bighappyfamily Mon 05-Jun-17 23:08:25

As others have said, this may just be the layout of Irish airports - not as much call for domestic / CTA arrivals.

I'm afraid I call bollox on that. The airports managed perfectly well pre 9/11. You just were directed through a lane where a booth was empty! In fairness, that was before the arrivals halls that they now have in T1 and T2 in Dublin.

@LivLemler I agree with you - which is why I will often show my driving license. If RyanScare insist on a passport because they fancy it, fine. I'm not going to argue. A member of the Irish border force? Not so much. And they can't force me to show it. There are plenty of other valid forms of ID and my boarding card (which shows I've arrived from the UK) and my driving license are perfectly sufficient.

The first time I did it they looked a bit floored, but they don't object now.

scottishdiem Mon 05-Jun-17 23:14:27

In terms of flights I wondered about this. Landing in Edinburgh there are no checks but then its an internal flight (thanks to CTA) so you are routed through that way so no passport control. However, since Ireland (I think) has no internal flights, all passengers have to be routed through passport control as thats how its set up at the airport?

I dont know if that makes sense but that was my reasoning when I noticed it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in