Talk

Advanced search

Ireland West wedding venues

(10 Posts)
IHeartHoumous Mon 20-Mar-17 20:49:08

Hi everyone

Coming over from the UK to view the following venues just wondered if anyone had any knowledge/experience of them, any particular favourites etc?

Mulranny Park
Mount Falcon
Twin Trees
Ballina Great National
The Castle Court

Thanks v.much.

FurryDogMother Mon 20-Mar-17 20:52:21

Mulranny Park is quite a scenic venue, in the right weather (which can't be guaranteed). It's also quite a way from anywhere - well, apart from 'blink and you missed it' Mulranny. The Castlecourt is a town centre hotel (in Westport) - I've been there for Christmas parties and it's OK, but nothing special. I'm not familiar with the others, but have you considered Knockranny Hotel (Westport) or Westport Woods? I like both of those.

IHeartHoumous Mon 20-Mar-17 20:58:20

Thanks FurryDogMother yes have come across Knockranny and Westport Woods too - maybe will give them a visit also. Are they quite scenic/good for photos? (as you say, weather depending! It is the west coast after all!)

The Castle Court is furthest down our list as we'd prefer somewhere a bit more secluded, but that also has ample B+Bs etc nearby (majority of guests will need a place to stay).

babyblabber Mon 20-Mar-17 21:03:37

I was at a wedding at Mount Falcon, stunning venue although very long drive (from Dublin)! Really beautiful setting though and it was a great wedding. Haven't even heard of the others!

IHeartHoumous Mon 20-Mar-17 21:08:26

Thanks BB, Mount Falcon looks incredible from its website. Our guests can fly into Knock easily so not too long a distance from there.

FurryDogMother Tue 21-Mar-17 09:39:01

Westport Woods has a wood - so is pretty, and it's just up the hill from Westport House, too (think they've taken the scaffolding off of it now!). Knockranny's on a hill overlooking Westport and Clew Bay with all its islands - so could be some stunning views (also Croagh Patrick clearly visible from there, of course).

hollyisalovelyname Tue 21-Mar-17 18:09:23

Westport Woods is a real family friendly hotel- children running around- children's club etc.
Knockraney appears more upmarket. I meant to book there and ended up in Westport Woods. 😊
Mount Falcon would be a different market ( again upmarket) I think but haven't been there.

lazybabyirl Thu 23-Mar-17 20:38:05

Attended wedding In mulranny on fantastic summers day. Venue was stunning all glass looking out across clew bay.

Oulavache Fri 21-Apr-17 23:06:14

Mount falcon is gorgeous, I was at a wedding there and I thought it was perfect. I know the others (bar Mulranny) and don't think they are really on a par.

FuckYouLinda Fri 05-May-17 17:24:04

Castlecourt are a solid wedding venue with good food. They've had a wedding there probably every single week since the seventies and could do it with their eyes shut. And I imagine that there is not a wedding-related crisis that they have not encountered before. Parking can be an issue though. Their sister hotel The Plaza might have options if you are having a smaller wedding.
Hotel Westport - also good food, great venue, and gorgeous location for photos and very family friendly. Lots of parking.

Both of these would have B&B options within an easy stagger but might also be very reasonable on room rates in the hotel itself.

Knockranny is gorgeous - the food is excellent. But a bit pricier possibly than the other two. But a great venue too.

I can't vouch for the others as I've not attended weddings there but have heard Mulranny is a good venue too with excellent food and a great location.

Depending on how your guests are travelling, look into the travel links to each town and consider those -Westport is probably most accessible with trains and buses. Also, if it's a destination wedding for some of your guests, staying around the coast affords them other activities to combine with your wedding to give them a mini holiday or weekend break.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now