Advanced search

Childminders -costs and how?

(11 Posts)
freethebiscuit Wed 01-Mar-17 20:58:26

I have a child starting junior infants in September, a toddler ( not yet eligible for free hours) & a baby. My mat leave (with unpaid) is due to end shortly after the eldest starts school. In the past I've used crèche for the older two but just had the costings for the after school pick ups/club for the oldest that we'd need and my salary is not going to cover the care for the 3. I only have the option of full one mon-fri hours in work angry so unless I find cheaper childcare alternatives I'm going to end up leaving my job. Thinking about a childminder to look after the younger two who would have to drive to collect the eldest- but have no idea if this would work. Do you register as an employer and pay tax separately? How do you calculate what the childminder receives if you pay tax as an employer? How do you set up a contract to lay out holidays etc? Is it expected that holiday days are paid etc...? Anybody any experience to share- good or bad. I love our crèche and this is stressing me out!!

Amber76 Fri 03-Mar-17 08:08:26

Have you considered an au pair? Or putting up a notice in local shop seeing if there are any local childminders available? Talk to the childminder about their expectations.

I used to have my eldest minded (childminder collected them and brought them to her close by home) and it was € 5 per hour and then €8 for two - tax was never discussed.

MediumtoSmall Fri 03-Mar-17 08:12:37

You don't need to worry about any of that with a childminder, they tell you what they charge and they will have a contract to sign that will detail holidays and sick days etc. They send you an invoice at the end of the month and you just pay it by bank transfer.

We've used a child minder for several years now and I'm really pleased with our choice

MediumtoSmall Fri 03-Mar-17 08:14:13

Different childminders do holidays in different ways, mine doesn't charge when she is on holiday but some do, or charge half. She does charge if we are on holiday.

iffybiffybomb Fri 03-Mar-17 08:15:46

Childminders are self employed - they do their own taxes etc, don't worry about that. You're not their employer, they're a service provider and you use the service.

Ours (who we left) charged for holidays and took 5 weeks a year. £55 a day.

Catdogcat Fri 03-Mar-17 08:20:12

Ours doesn't charge for holidays if she's taking them but if we choose to take them when DD should be with her we still have to pay.

We pay £28 per day which includes three meals and snacks, she provides formula and wipes amd covers all activities. We only send nappies and a change of clothes.

DD goes three days a week and my average bill is around £330 which we cover with the voucher scheme from our works.

Catdogcat Fri 03-Mar-17 08:23:53

She does all her own taxes etc as she's self employed.

We got a contract detailing all of this and sent copies of her qualifications before we chose her.

She does pick ups/drop offs at only one school which is a short drive or nice walk from her house, so the little ones go along on that with her to collect the bigger ones.

freethebiscuit Fri 03-Mar-17 23:15:37

Thanks for your feedback- seems simpler than I'd thought in terms of being 'an employer'

HSMMaCM Fri 03-Mar-17 23:40:36

Remember a childminder works in their house, not yours and may have other children. Just checking you're not actually thinking of a nanny who works in your house, as your employee.

freethebiscuit Sat 04-Mar-17 02:27:41

HSMM - think in the other persons' home is more straightforward from what other posters have said..:

HSMMaCM Sat 04-Mar-17 09:22:08

Definitely grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: