Talk

Advanced search

Best beer for no hangover

(4 Posts)
vastgreen Wed 22-Feb-17 09:17:34

Posting here, because I think craicnetters may get my dilemma??!! I have big girlie weekend coming up, full days boozing, 40th birthday celebrations! Really looking forward to the rare opportunity to relive my early twenty weekends- however the 40 year old body doesn't , and the hangovers are apocalyptic these days! I plan to stick to beer but wondering if different beers have different hangover severity?? I know I could (and prob should) stay off the booze....but where's the craic in that!

MephistophelesApprentice Wed 22-Feb-17 09:23:37

Hangovers are caused by dehydration, which is an unavoidable effect of consuming alcohol, and 'congeners' which are byproducts of the fermentation process.

Thing is, all the colour and flavour in beer (and every alcoholic beverage) comes from congeners. Basically, the lighter and more flavourless the beer the fewer the congeners and the less likely the hangover.

If you stick to Sol, Coronoa, San Miguel and other ultralights it will lower the impact, but clear spirits and fruit juice is the lowest hangover chance overall.

A1Sharon Fri 24-Feb-17 18:49:00

OP, I usually drink spirits and don't suffer with bad hangovers as long as I don't go too overboard wink
But I was out a few years ago with a pal who drinks beer and thought "I'll do that".
3 pints later I was shit faced blush
I woke up the next day and honestly, it was as if every drop of moisture had been removed from my body.
Every. Drop.
Don't experiment on a great weekend!
My advice, go easy during the day-no more than 3 drinks! Minerals/water with dinner, enjoy yourself after 9pm. That's how I do weddings and I'm always grand the next day.

TisMeTheLadFromTheBar Fri 24-Feb-17 18:54:20

There used to be a product called 'Life Line' to ease hangovers. Not sure if it is still on the market.
You can get 'Nux Vom' from the homeopathic section of the health shop. It is apparently quite good for hangovers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now