Talk

Advanced search

Overnight stay between Galway and north Donegal

(10 Posts)
cairnterrier Tue 21-Feb-17 21:52:33

DH, ds1 and 2 and I are travelling to Ireland this Easter. We're hoping to arrive at our friends in north Co Donegal on the Thursday and at the moment have a hotel booked in Galway on the Tuesday night. We're now having a debate about what to do on the Wednesday!

Would you recommend staying in Galway for an extra night (and then have a big long drive to Donegal) or would you break the journey up and stay overnight en route? If you broke the journey up where would you stay? Sligo? Donegal? Somewhere else? We've never been to the west coast so we're a bit clueless.

Any advice as to what to see along the way? Generally we like most things but the boys are v keen on castles and adventure playgrounds hmmgrin

NomChanged Tue 21-Feb-17 21:58:30

Definitely break the journey up. You could travel on the coastal route to Westport - Beautiful market town at the foot of a mountain. The coastal route will take you through Connemara in west Galway and by killary fjord.

Another option:
Strandhill in Sligo..Funky surf village close to Sligo town with seaweed baths

Sgtmajormummy Tue 21-Feb-17 22:02:24

We (2 DC and I) stayed one night in Sligo at the Yeats Country Hotel during our week driving anti-clockwise around Ireland.
We were given a room at the front with a harbour view and once the kids were in bed I just gazed out at the lights listening to the bells on the buoys. Gorgeous.
The hotel was large but a bit run down. I think it was the Golf Clubhouse in earlier days. No evening meals but plenty of lively pubs in the town.
I'll post a link.

Sgtmajormummy Tue 21-Feb-17 22:07:50

It's in Rosses Point Yeats Country Hotel

smileyreiley Wed 22-Feb-17 08:27:37

Mullaghmore is my favourite spot on that route, small beach village with two hotels, very peaceful- but the beach is brilliant for a long evening walk- beautiful views of Benbulben, and the backdrop of classiebawn castle is just beautiful
Check out the whole route on the wild Atlantic way website
http://www.wildatlanticway.com/directory/signature/mullaghmore-head/127/

Rachel0Greep Wed 22-Feb-17 16:42:29

I'd agree with breaking the journey up, and there are some beautiful places around Sligo, as others have mentioned.

Rachel0Greep Wed 22-Feb-17 16:46:41

I haven't been in that area in years, but this thread is making me nostalgic. Another possibility would be the Sandhouse Hotel, Rossnowlagh - I haven't stayed there, but I believe it is nice. It's in Co Donegal.

www.sandhouse.ie

cairnterrier Wed 22-Feb-17 18:53:41

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice as to breaking the journey up! We managed to get a good deal on a hotel close to Sligo so just looking for top tips as to things to see and do. If the weather is kind, which beaches would you recommend?

NomChanged Wed 22-Feb-17 21:16:32

Rosses point beache is a great one for walking and has great dunes. Strandhill is a surfers haven. Mullaghmore is beautiful. If your children like castles as you mentioned, take them to Lissadell House and Parkes Castle on the shore of Lough Gill. Read some WB Yeats poetry before you go - the area is the resting place of WB Yeats and is termed "yeats country". Google Queen Maeve and climb Knocknarea mountain. Enjoy!

123MothergotafleA Thu 09-Mar-17 13:46:46

Yes, definitely Sligo, Parkes castle is very interesting and all the Yeats stuff.... Drumcliff where he's buried.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now