Talk

Advanced search

Mystery: link between Mayo/Galway & Sussex in late 1930s?

(11 Posts)
KingfordRun Mon 13-Feb-17 22:23:20

Can anyone think what may take a deeply rooted Irish person (both parents) from Mayo or Galway to Sussex (Worthing/Sompting) around 1936/1937? There are a few obvious answers, maybe, but feel I am missing something important or obvious? Many thanks

SallyInSweden Mon 13-Feb-17 22:37:32

Teaching possibly?

I would also offer building work... there is a lot of housing that dates from then.

There is quite a large Catholic community there too (mostly Italian though) possibly a priest from home needing a housekeeper.

hollyisalovelyname Thu 16-Feb-17 18:30:37

Poverty?
Looking for work?
My grandmother spoke of the hungry 30's.
Great hardship in agricultural Ireland.
There was actually a famine along the west coast of Ireland in 1924. It's not widely spoken of. At the time the new government in Ireland did not want publicity about it.
If you Google 'famine in Ireland 1924' it should come up.

MarDhea Fri 17-Feb-17 16:37:41

Long shot, but British army recruitment? Lots of Irish men joined the British army even in the 30s, and there may have been married quarters available.

Btw, just to be pedantic about it blush, there wasn't actually a famine in Ireland in 1924-5. There were very bad conditions in the west due to crop failures and a shortage of turf, and there were 10-20 deaths from malnutrition, cold, and/or pneumonia. But there was also a propaganda war going on between Britain (vested interested in presenting the Irish free state as a failure; media reporting 750k starving) and Ireland (vested interest in presenting the free state as a success: govt announcements that things weren't too bad). The truth is probably probably more mundane - it might have turned into a famine if crops had failed again in 1925, but they didn't, so crisis averted. There's a peculiar conspiracy theory culture about if it you google it, for some reason.

hollyisalovelyname Fri 17-Feb-17 19:32:35

Thanks MarDhea.
I stumbled across the article online and it interested me because my gm was born in 1924 - she who spoke of the hungry 30's.

A1Sharon Mon 20-Feb-17 18:52:03

My mum was born in 1940 and she says neighbours died of hunger, and that was west Wicklow. Poverty and starvation were commonplace in Ireland then.

A1Sharon Mon 20-Feb-17 18:53:34

Sorry, should have been clearer. She personally remembers people dying of starvation. And one day a lad ran in looking for some brandy to revive his mother, who had collapsed. Mum says that was from hunger. Very sad to think of.

hollyisalovelyname Tue 21-Feb-17 09:34:33

A1 Sharon
That is so sad.
How quickly we forget.

fuckingwall Tue 21-Feb-17 09:37:02

To find work.

Jaysis Tue 21-Feb-17 17:27:40

I would guess work. If female, perhaps a way of escaping being married off to someone in exchange for a field, or going to 'work' ie have a baby over there and adopt. An older sibling or husband might go to England to work and send much needed money home.

If male then especially if they were not the eldest son (who would have probably be in line to inherit any land or farm) they would go for work.

Or possibly doing a runner from a crime or having a run in with a local IRA head.

If there are any recorded disabilities, then they might have gone to access better healthcare and rehabilitative training that may not be available on the Irish welfare system. At that time England were much more progressive at getting people with disabilities jobs where they could live independent lives. In Ireland the options were severely limited and disabled folk usually faced staying in the family home or an institution. sad

hollyisalovelyname Thu 23-Feb-17 08:54:43

Why ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now