Talk

Advanced search

Thinking about upping and going to Australia.

(14 Posts)
feckthemall Fri 06-Jan-17 21:27:06

We are a family of 4, kids are 15 and 6. How in hell do you start the process. Dh would look for a job before going so we would hope he would be sponsored. I cannot beleive I am even thinking about it tbh. Dh would have gone 10 yrs ago but I was always adamant we were staying put in Ireland.I have had a realisation recently that its now or never and I am tired of playing it safe. Am I mad?

ImperialBlether Fri 06-Jan-17 21:28:15

No, you're not!

Where do you fancy going?

Is your DH eligible?

FourToTheFloor Fri 06-Jan-17 21:35:00

Do you know anyone is Aus? Dh and I will always ping pong as he's from this side of the world and I'm from that side but at my age (very late 30s) I'd only do it because of family/a strong pull (keep moving back and forward)

It's expensive in Aus, but then I find Dublin eyewatering too yet we stay with the IL and we live in London!

It's hard to explain without sounding negative, and I do love Aus but it's very insular and imo sort of big fish in small pond. The TV will drive you crackers, everything runs 15 minutes late. Seriously fucking annoys me when I go home!

Do you like adventure? Ifind so then go for it grin

feckthemall Fri 06-Jan-17 22:28:09

See this is the thing. I never wanted to go. completely overruled Dh whenever he mentioned it, but it's like I had an epiphany or something.

We have extended family in Perth and friends in Brisbane. Dhs job is on the list alright but we haven't a clue about how to even look about jobs for him. we would have to be based on the coast anyway as his work is marine based. I know no more than that at the moment.

I feel like we have nothing to lose at this stage of our lives. We are early 40s.

KittyOShea Fri 06-Jan-17 22:32:59

We are planning a career break for 3 years and will probably go to Oz for 2 years of it. DH spent 8 years there before we met and luckily applied for and got Aussie citizenship so he can sponsor me. Both of us have 'desirable' jobs for Australia.

There used to be an age requirement- is there still? I know a friend of 45 had trouble getting a work permit even with sponsorship so may be worth checking.

feckthemall Fri 06-Jan-17 22:41:59

Well from briefly googling the cutoff age appears to be 50.

I think I am ready for a bit of excitement lol.

LuckyLuckyMe Fri 06-Jan-17 22:48:55

There is a tv programme called "Wanted down under" on BBC I think that brings families thinking of moving to Australia from U.K. to Australia for a week to see how they would get on there. They look at employment prospects, lifestyle, costs etc. It might be of interest to you.

KittyOShea Fri 06-Jan-17 22:49:14

Great! Good luck and enjoy the planning.

Amber76 Sat 07-Jan-17 09:13:47

We've toyed with the idea. Our kids are very young. My dh would easily get a job there.

What puts me off is that the kids would grow up there and very possibly want to live there lives there whereas my dh would want to retire back in Ireland. And we'd miss so many things here like weddings, funerals,etc.

Amber76 Sat 07-Jan-17 09:16:44

Also, how does your 15 yr old feel about it? Kids that age can be very attached to their friends. How would you feel if you went out there and settled but that child wanted to move back here when they're 18?

Could be an amazing family adventure though😊

lovelearning Sat 07-Jan-17 09:31:29

feckthemall

Do you have sufficient points?

The Online Eligibility Assessment below is based on the immigration points system determined by the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP). The assessment calculates whether you have enough points, and are therefore eligible to immigrate to Australia under one of the Skilled Visa classes. A positive result does not guarantee visa success; it simply means you have the requisite or minimum number of points deemed necessary by the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP).

assessments.visabureau.com/australia/assessment/skilled/default.aspx

SpotTheDuck Sat 07-Jan-17 09:44:09

Just a point to think about - if your children become "ordinarily resident" in Australia, you will not be allowed to move them out of Australia unless both parents agree. So (worst case scenario) if you split up, your DH could prevent you leaving. You need to be confident you'd be happy to be in Australia even in those circumstances (or you need to be very confident your narriage will last, which obv i hope it will!)

feckthemall Sat 07-Jan-17 13:24:56

Dh fulfills the points criteria alright.

We just put it out there to the 15 yr old as a would you ever like to go to Oz to live situation and he was very receptive.

I have also thought about what I would do if he decided he wanted to go back to Ireland for good when he was older or we did and he stayed. I think it would break my heart tbh but as an adult we would have to respect his decision.

feckthemall Sat 07-Jan-17 13:24:59

Dh fulfills the points criteria alright.

We just put it out there to the 15 yr old as a would you ever like to go to Oz to live situation and he was very receptive.

I have also thought about what I would do if he decided he wanted to go back to Ireland for good when he was older or we did and he stayed. I think it would break my heart tbh but as an adult we would have to respect his decision.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now