Talk

Advanced search

Calling Norn Iron Mumsnetters

(21 Posts)
TeaPleaseLouise Tue 27-Dec-16 20:21:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsHathaway Tue 27-Dec-16 20:27:27

Clickable link for you.

It's ridiculous that not all women in the United Kingdom have access to this basic healthcare.

I have plenty of thoughts regarding the politicians involved but it's too Christmas for that density of swearing.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 27-Dec-16 20:32:42

Hmm. Thanks for the link - I've a funny feeling that MN does not have the power to force a country to change its laws hmm Also not sure about MN setting itself up as a lobbying organisation.

I think the first goal - making sure NI patients were entitled to free abortions on the NHS in the rest of the UK was far more achievable.

TeaPleaseLouise Tue 27-Dec-16 20:40:17

Bubble2bubble Tue 27-Dec-16 20:40:27

Hmm indeed...just not going to happen is it ? sad
Agree the other option was more realistic.

lauryloo Tue 27-Dec-16 20:45:13

I am shocked that they don't do medical abortions in ni. I remember watching Stephen Nolan when heavily pregnant with ds and a woman had to go to England for an abortion when her child would have either died in birth or shortly after.

TeaPleaseLouise Wed 28-Dec-16 09:43:04

Bubble2bubble Wed 28-Dec-16 10:44:49

Maybe move to craicnet as well?

TeaPleaseLouise Wed 28-Dec-16 11:55:45

Dowser Wed 28-Dec-16 11:58:37

Thought it as a typo...non iron mumsnetters.
I was in for a minute.

1DAD2KIDS Wed 28-Dec-16 12:06:29

For the NHS to offer flights would sort of shit all over the devolved powers given to Stormont. This is a problem for the people in NI to resolve for them self. Since it is a democracy the decisions generally reflect the will of the electorate. So it is the peoples hearts and minds that need changing. Although 70% of people seem to be in favour of a law change there is very split opinion of when abortion is a appropriate or not. Not many seem to suppprt the full range of abortion options in England. Obviously democracy doesn't favour everyone but NI is not England.

TeaPleaseLouise Wed 28-Dec-16 16:43:07

1DAD2KIDS Wed 28-Dec-16 18:51:01

I am sorry if you don't like my lack of compassion. It is a difficult situation. But for the British government to basicly override the will of NI elected government on the powers devolved to it would be a huge constitution issue. Flying them over would effectively be undermining the will of NI's people. If you believe in democracy you can't then justify an outside power to overule it's elected bodies and their powers when it represents the will of its electorate.

Unfortunately the Stormont government has a backwards view on the issue and this reflects to a certain extent the Conservative views held by many across the communities in NI. The way to get a better outcome is not get the British government to over rule the wishes of NI. It's to lobby Stormont, educate and inform the people, aim to change hearts and minds. The resarch shows attitudes are changing on the issue (all be a long way from concensus to the extent this change should go). Then allow proper reform within NI with the sanction and blessing of the majority of NI's electorate.

TeaPleaseLouise Wed 28-Dec-16 19:47:07

1DAD2KIDS Wed 28-Dec-16 20:20:55

They are not sound comparisons. I don't disagree with them having abortions. But for NHS doctors to refer patients to England would be breaking the laws of the Stormont government or at least it's nature of them if not technically (do know all the ins and outs of the law over their). It would be going against the Conservative will of the people in NI. For the UK to fund this out of non NI budgets that would be Parliament undermining the Conservative will of NI and powers devolved to them. To this would show that parliament has no respect for Stormonts elected government.

Now let's not confuse the EU referendum with devolved powers. That was something completely separate you must understand that? In terms of EU membership we are the UK as one body. Therefore it was a vote to represent the whole of the Uk. Of course more independence or union with the Republic is a whole different debate (I would guess both of these would be more harmful to your cause).

The governments job is to stand by the devolution it has granted not undermine it. Even if these powers do mean that our system is at odds with more conservative parts of the UK. The point being to give people more power at a component country level and better reflect the wishes of its people. Unfortunately attitudes and values in NI are very conservative. So reform is needed in NI by the will of the people not by being under minded by parliament.

TeaPleaseLouise Wed 28-Dec-16 21:19:07

1DAD2KIDS Wed 28-Dec-16 22:28:53

I think so. Sadly my experience of NI suggests to me that change not just from government but also the public in general would not be a timely thing. But for me it's the public who need to be on board. Like you said the bible belt vote is powerful. If the population was mainly for it the politicians would be on board too to get the vote. I just don't think there is enough public will for change and therefore no political will. That is democracy for you. Now if it was a mater of what flags fly on public buildings that would be a whole different kettle of fish. No doubt everyone would have something passionate to say on that one.

But I understand the drive to look at loop holes to get round the backwards law of the land. But this could well be seen as parliament meddling and undermining the authority of the Stormont government. I am sure any use of loop holes will cause an upset in the bible belt, therefore a political upset. Something I am sure Westminster would want to avoid.

Also sorry to sound cold and heartless but the NHS is not a bottomless pit. Surly we are talking great expense for transfers, flights and other expenses for the procedure. Sadly the NHS does have to consider its budgets and sometimes has to say no to some procedures/medications. Also politicians over here may feel the heat over the English NHS budget being used to fund NI patients. So I don't think it would be a popular political move. Which of course makes it less likely to be sanctioned.

I guess we won't agree on this one. But I really do believe that the main focus should be to change minds in NI.

TeaPleaseLouise Mon 02-Jan-17 15:40:56

1DAD2KIDS Mon 02-Jan-17 18:58:17

TeaPleaseLouise welcome back to the land of internet.

I see your point but are any of these other treatments against the law in NI? I doubt anyone in NI would have any religious or moral objections to those other producers? And of course I assume these procedures are funded from the NI budget?

TeaPleaseLouise Tue 03-Jan-17 09:07:21

PunjanaTea Tue 03-Jan-17 09:15:21

It is ridiculous that I live in a country where I am prevented from having autonomy over my body.

I have filled in the new survey. I'm quite disappointed to learn that people were against campaigning for women to be funded to get abortions in the UK. Whilst I understand the view that the campaign should focus on making abortion legal here, it would be so helpful to many if they could just get help in the meantime.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now