Talk

Advanced search

Steralisation - anyone had it done?

(10 Posts)
1lov3comps Tue 27-Dec-16 06:54:03

I know there's probably better places for this topic but I'm interested in getting sterilised and wonder if anyone else has had it done in Ireland and if they found it hard to get someone to agree to do it?
I'm 34 and 2 dcs and know I'm done but threads from people on mumsnet seem to indicate a reluctance from doctors to do sterilisation on people when they are still of child bearing age so was wondering if anyone in Ireland could let me know of their experience?

1lov3comps Tue 27-Dec-16 17:45:15

Bump 🙂

1lov3comps Thu 29-Dec-16 07:37:29

So no-one then eh? grin

pullingmyhairout1 Thu 29-Dec-16 07:41:33

I was sterilised at 33, but not in Ireland I'm afraid.

Don't be too hasty. I have found myself thinking about I've at 40.

ofudginghell Thu 29-Dec-16 07:45:38

Had my third child by 30 and was sterilised at 31 or 32 can't remember exactly.
Didn't have a problem getting a referral and it's was a day case in and out key hole.
The only pain was from the gas in my system the next day but other than that was brilliant.
I'm uk though so not sure if rules are different where you are

ofudginghell Thu 29-Dec-16 07:48:06

Pulling I had the odd moment where I thought oh that's it then and had the odd small urge too but I remind myself how calmer life is now my youngest is 6 and eldest 18 and how we can do more out of routine now.
I'm also awake before any of my dc nowadays and I've waited many many years for the time as none of mine slept well until they started pre school

pullingmyhairout1 Thu 29-Dec-16 08:25:15

I understand. I think mine was more because I divorced and met someone else. I ended up getting a puppy instead grin

1lov3comps Thu 29-Dec-16 18:53:29

Thanks, helpful to hear any experiences/insights. I'm really sure I want it done, even when I see newborns now, I think 'thank God he/she's not mine' (and then I think how cute they are and ask for a cuddle) grin
I'm trying to get an idea of how easy it was in Ireland as it doesn't seem to be anywhere near as common. Even the main health board website mentions that you will be 'strongly recommended to have counselling' before a gp will refer so part of me thinks they will be really reluctant to go ahead with the referral.
Suppose the only thing to do is go and see what happens!

SallyInSweden Sun 01-Jan-17 23:39:09

I had mine done at same time as section for No.3 in CUMH. Was 37. Had said at booking in that I would want a ligation done if I ended up with a section. So six months later was obviously pretty sure.

January87 Sat 07-Jan-17 18:08:31

I was referred for it. The GP didn't even want to refer me but I told her to refer me or I'd just find a different GP who would. I saw Sam Coulter Smith in the Rotunda and he tried to talk me out of it for the Mirena instead (I have 4 kids and was 28 when I saw him). When I told him I didn't want the mirena and wanted my tubes tied he told me I was overweight and he wouldn't risk it, so I told him if he gave me a target I'd meet it and would he do it then, so he agreed to that.

Unfortunately I became pregnant again a few weeks after the appt (using the nuvaring!), I terminated but got the implanon in and have been using that since. I'm still trying to hit my target weight.

All you can do is give it a shot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now