Irish in the UK after Brexit - what do we do?

(5 Posts)
NotAMammy Mon 14-Nov-16 23:24:17

Following on from another thread where someone told me about a permanent residency card which I've never heard of I thought it might be useful to have somewhere on here to discuss what to do next.
Although I've just looked up permanent residence cards and they say that it's for non-EEA citizens and we are from the EEA and I'm confused again.

Basically, can someone hold my hand, reassure me that the world doesn't actually hate migrants and tell me how to make sure I can stay in this city I've made home?

I am aware that it's mostly a pile of ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ confused at the moment

Decorhate Thu 17-Nov-16 06:57:14

I haven't looked into it too much (still hoping it won't happen). I think there is nothing to do at the moment as the rules haven't changed. However, as much as it pains me, we will probably look at applying for British passports for our younger kids so they will have duel citizenship. When my eldest was applying for uni, driving licence, etc her Irish passport meant extra paperwork. I am assuming that will only get worse if Brexit goes ahead.

Haven't decided yet if I will apply for one myself.

FarAwayHills Thu 17-Nov-16 21:35:16

I've given up worrying about it but didn't David Davis recently say that the rights of Irish citizens in the UK are expected to be preserved under the CTA agreement. Nothing is set in stone but I think we are in a less precarious position than other EU citizens.

icanteven Tue 22-Nov-16 13:41:37

It is written into the Ireland Act of 1949 that we are not regarded as "foreign" to the UK in the way other countries are. Note the way that long before the EU, Irish migrants were working and living here perfectly happily (apart from the racism aspect, obv.). My understanding is that this "special status" we have takes precedence over our right to live and work here as EU citizens.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland_Act_1949

We absolutely would never consider applying for British citizenship for our children.

Wakemeuuuup Tue 29-Nov-16 09:31:15

I'm not banking on the "special relationship" between Ireland and the UK being in place. The EU might tell Ireland that it can't. The British gov are also trying the tell Ireland that there will need to be a British border manned by British immigration officers in our airports/ports. This will not go down well.

I'm really hoping article 50 isn't triggered but I think it will.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now