Talk

Advanced search

Non Catholic child in a Catholic school

(9 Posts)
freethebiscuit Thu 13-Oct-16 08:25:48

Just that- looking at schools for my dd1 for next year and have some decisions to make. We are not religious and I obviously want her to have the best education in the best school. Have no prejudice and will accept the terms if she goes to a Catholic school while she won't participate in Communion. She might get offers or not but some of our choices (live in v urban area- applied for 5 schools years ago) are Catholic ethos schools. Just wondered if anyone has an older non religious/unbaptised child in a Catholic school and what they've missed out on/ done when the majority of their classmates are doing Communion prep/ sacraments etc... has your child found it tough?

Game0fScones Mon 17-Oct-16 18:11:04

My son is in a Catholic school - he is in second class. So far we have just ignored the religion to he honest, but it is a very multi cultural school so about half are not Catholic. He hasnt even noticed yet really. It might depend on the make-up of the school maybe?

Game0fScones Mon 17-Oct-16 18:11:55

I should have said we're not Catholics!

KanyesVest Mon 17-Oct-16 18:24:08

Game, if you don't mind me asking, how are you planning to deal with first communion this year? Dd is in senior infants in an educate together, but lots of her friends are already talking about how they will be making theirs (and they will).

Imscarlet Mon 17-Oct-16 18:31:56

The one thing I would say to you is that the religion programme has changed to 'Grow in Love' and with this new programme, there is homework every week. In the past, many parents who were non-religious or of different faiths would often just 'roll with it' up to communion, but now that the book is going home every week, more parents are taking issue with the content and wish for their children to be excluded at an earlier age. It's probably easier if you are of no faith rather than of a faith that takes issue with celebrating religious holidays as they tend to encompass the entire curriculum (so there will be art work and English writing tied in with the Christmas theme etc). The advice I would give you is that if it is a big issue for you, I would try to get your child into an educate together or a gaelscoil.

Imscarlet Mon 17-Oct-16 18:34:12

Oh and just to add, for communion, the thing that the children are most concerned with is the dress and the bouncy castle/party. Many parents organise a big special treat instead (like Disneyland or Tayto park or a holiday or something) and the children who don't participate are delighted with that. It doesn't suit every burget though!

Game0fScones Tue 18-Oct-16 19:51:33

Hello - sorry I wrote two replies last night but somehow lost them. Then I was too tired blush.

Anyway KanyesVest - we don't really have to worry about First Communion, because lots of the other kids are not making it either. They are other religions - like I said it is a very diverse school, even though it is a standard Catholic national school. Freethebiscuit mentioned she was in a very urban area - then it is likely that there will be lots of nationalities with different religions there too, and so much easier to just ignore the religion (or roll with it like Imscarlet said). Which is pretty much what we do.

If the school is very homogeneous I guess it is harder. I do have friends in the country whose child was the only one in the class not to make Communion - they just took them to Dublin for the day, did the zoo, made a big fuss etc. It seemed fine. But it was 15 plus years ago - I doubt there is a school in the country now where every child makes their Communion??

freethebiscuit Wed 19-Oct-16 21:09:13

Thanks for the responses- offer letters are starting to go out and we'll wait and see where we get offers for. Really wish they all went out at the same time (& after you've been to an open evening or met the principal- some were unwilling to offer a meet before applying) so you could have your offers (or lack of) lined up and make an informed choice but they're staggered and some expect you to confirm a place before you've set foot in the school!

Game0fScones Wed 19-Oct-16 22:34:47

I accepted two schools and went to both information nights for new parents, then decided. What else can you do when they wont let you in to look otherwise? It really helped me know I was happy with my choice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now