Talk

Advanced search

One week to go

(24 Posts)
DublinBlowIn Mon 08-Aug-16 05:40:58

...and I arrive in Ireland.

Not seen the house we've rented.

Need to get Irish bank accounts, cell phones, school uniform and supplies, buy a car, figure out where to do the food shopping...

Really excited but my god there feels a lot to do shock

MarDhea Tue 09-Aug-16 09:06:45

How exciting!

Can I pick your brains..? grin Did you find it ok getting school place(s) for DC? Did they have their PPS numbers already?

PlanBwastaken Tue 09-Aug-16 15:02:11

Best of luck! Both Supervalu and Tesco do online delivery, might be handy to get the basics in. Don't forget to take picture before you start unpacking - there's no escrow system protecting your deposit here...

gillyginger Tue 09-Aug-16 15:15:17

Oh Dunnes stores best for food shopping, especially if they are still doing €10 of you next shop if you spend €50,

DublinBlowIn Thu 11-Aug-16 06:00:58

mardhea I'm afraid I'm no use at all in school front. We really struggled to find anywhere and the DC are going into fee paying schools. We don't have PPS numbers but should get that organised on arrival. The schools haven't had an issue with that so far.

If you are moving to Ireland my one bit of advice would be get an Irish cell phone number in advance. You can order a sim and have it delivered worldwide within a week. I only found this out this week and it has been really difficult trying to do anything online without a valid phone number.

PlanB - that's helpful to know. I thought I'd read something re secured deposits but must have been mistaken. Will make sure we get a really thorough check in done.

Thanks gilly

MarDhea Thu 11-Aug-16 08:30:54

Thanks blowIn, I was afraid the school situation would be like that! Hope it all goes well smile

A1Sharon Thu 11-Aug-16 23:59:17

Where are you moving to Dublinblowin?.

DramaAlpaca Fri 12-Aug-16 00:07:26

The best of luck shamrock to you!

I was in your shoes 17 years ago, moving to Ireland to live in a rented house I hadn't seen, uprooting the family and starting a new life. DH is Irish but hadn't lived there for years, but it was all new to me.

We said we'd give it two years, but we are still here, happy and settled.

Hope the move goes well.

DublinBlowIn Fri 12-Aug-16 05:00:01

drama that's great to hear smile

We're going to be in Dublin 4 - I'm excited!

Loraline Fri 12-Aug-16 06:15:56

D4? Very nice. Depending on where you are, make sure you keep an eye on match schedules at the Avoca Stadium. My brother used to either have to go out for the day or stay in all day as his road would close.

squoosh Fri 12-Aug-16 11:46:18

If you're in Ballsbridge you'll be doing your food shopping in the Tesco in the Merrion Centre. There's also a smaller Tesco in Sandymount village and a big Super Valu out in Blackrock which isn't far at all. Blackrock also has a M&S food hall. For more special deli type food there's a Butler's Pantry in Donnybrook and Sandymount as well as Donnybrook Fair. Both sell marvellous grub!

So that's your food shopping sorted grin

DublinBlowIn Fri 12-Aug-16 14:54:43

Thanks squoosh Those last two links look amazing. After years of living in Asia i can't tell you how excited I am to have decent food options grin

MelanieWiggles Fri 12-Aug-16 16:27:17

Just be warned - donnybrook fair is on our walk to school. You go in to buy a loaf of bread and come out having managed to spend 50 quid...

hollyisalovelyname Fri 12-Aug-16 21:52:31

Donnybrook Fair's baked ham is delicious as is their peanut chicken in light batter at the deli counter.

MelanieWiggles Sun 14-Aug-16 19:42:59

Good luck with the move tomorrow blowin. Keep us posted on how you're getting on !

hollyisalovelyname Mon 15-Aug-16 20:25:14

Welcome and I hope you and your family will be really happy in Ireland OP.

vvviola Tue 16-Aug-16 17:00:38

OP, get something with your name and address on as soon as you can (electricity bill, rental contract etc). It's really difficult to get anything done without proof of address - including PPS numbers and bank accounts. I think when now-DH moved to Ireland we had to get his name put on my parents Sky account so he could get established, as we were living with them for a few months so had no bills in our name. We also had problems recently as we were moving house but all the bills etc were in my name because I'm the one who organised everything and the mortgage company were a bit snippy about his proof of address.

DublinBlowIn Sat 20-Aug-16 08:36:29

Thanks all for the tips - I'm here and so far so good!

I've done the intended €5 donneybrook fair shop for €60. Twice. And still had nothing for dinner hmm

I'm getting used to carrying around every bit of ID and paperwork I own as everyone wants something slightly different.

But it's the small things that confuse you: I have already accumulated somewhere in region of 27 bags for life on basis that I never remember I'm supposed to constantly have one on me and don't get me started on the immersion heater (this is not actually a small thing - wtf is it with an immersion heater?!!)

Generally speaking I have to comment on how polite and helpful everyone is smile once I get the heating sorted - I know in August blush ! - it'll be all good

Loraline Sat 20-Aug-16 17:18:32

Aaaahhhh the immersion. Good luck with that gringringrin

DublinBlowIn Sat 20-Aug-16 19:50:20

In my quest to figure out the immersion I came across this comedian...maybe well known but it made me laugh so sharing:

DesBishop grin

A1Sharon Sat 20-Aug-16 23:38:54

Here you [[ www.hairybaby.com/did-you-turn-off-the-immersion-27744 go]].

squoosh Wed 24-Aug-16 21:24:11

Hope you and your family are settling in Blowin!

hollyisalovelyname Thu 25-Aug-16 21:35:09

Des Bishop's Immersion gag is legend.

DublinBlowIn Thu 01-Sep-16 22:49:29

squoosh all settling in thanks - DC started school and happy. Really liking Dublin smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now