Talk

Advanced search

welcome to craicnet!

(111 Posts)
Carriemac Tue 19-Jul-16 11:25:34

am very excited about this so thought we should introduce ourselves, I'm Irish, living in the UK for 20 years and have 3 DC. Travel to Ireland frequently as we have a holiday home in the southwest.
Currently worried about Brexit implications as DS 2 17wants to study in Ireland at third level.

CmereTilliTellYa Tue 19-Jul-16 12:10:32

Hi Carrie I'm Irish, two DCs, living in Dublin but was abroad for a few years until recently.

vvviola Tue 19-Jul-16 13:02:18

I'm living in Wicklow, but before coming home last year I'd been out of Ireland for 8 of the previous 10 years. I seem to spend my life in culture shock or reverse culture shock!

NarcyCow Tue 19-Jul-16 13:14:30

I'm in the north east. After growing up in Dublin, I'm also in culture shock grin

MsHaveNaiceHam Tue 19-Jul-16 13:26:58

I'm in Tipperary...moved back here after living all over the world.
Love it in the way you'd love your slippers after having spent a day in heels.

It's comfy and familiar and yes, our wi-fi isn't great (grrr..my work is dependent on working wi-fi) but I am more relaxed than I've been for years.

SkyLucy Tue 19-Jul-16 13:29:03

Can I join if I'm not Irish?! I'm English and have a lovely Irish DH. We married 2 years ago and are expecting our first baby. We live in the UK.

DH is a Dubliner born and bred - we go over a fair bit to see his 'rents, or to go to Wexford or Kerry, where he has family. We've been tentatively talking about moving to Ireland for a number of reasons: All of his siblings left too, so he worries about his ageing parents. Brexit upset us both. We love nature and the sea, but currently live miles from the coast and have busy jobs in London.

I love Ireland, but I would find it a culture shock. And would miss my 'rents! Suspect we could have a very different lovely life though....(rose-tinted specs?)

gingercat02 Tue 19-Jul-16 13:51:31

I'm Belfast born but have been away since I went to uni. In NE England for 25 years this week faints at how old that makes me
Looking forward to the chats and general craic

JackieAndHyde4eva Tue 19-Jul-16 13:55:33

Yay! Craicnet! grin brilliant name!

NI born and bred. Living in east down.

CmereTilliTellYa Tue 19-Jul-16 13:56:27

Can I join if I'm not Irish?!

Course you can!

I know what you mean vvviola. I wasn't away as long as you but after spending 30 years in Dublin, coming back after the few years away was a shock. So much had changed even in a few short years!

MyballsareSandy2015 Tue 19-Jul-16 13:56:49

I'm Irish but have always lived in England. Parents from Galway.

whojamaflip Tue 19-Jul-16 13:57:32

Ballymena originally and another who hasn't been back since going "to the mainland" for uni. 23 years now in the Midlands.

Would move back tomorrow if we could only lift the farm and take it with us! wink

feckthemall Tue 19-Jul-16 14:21:24

Dia Duit !

Well this is exciting. I'm Irish born and raised and resident all my lift. From the arsehole of ballygobackwards in the north west.

Pleased to meet you all.

feckthemall Tue 19-Jul-16 14:22:44

Life obviously!

WhatchaMaCalllit Tue 19-Jul-16 14:25:31

Yayy!!!!

I'm a Dubliner born & bred. Living on DNS but grew up on DSS.

Delighted to be part of the craicnet!

LokisUnderpants Tue 19-Jul-16 14:28:11

Yay Craicnet grin

I'm living with my non Irish DH in the wilds of Whesht Cork for a year now. Originally a Dub!

Maverick66 Tue 19-Jul-16 14:30:32

Woohoo
Northern Irish
Looking forward to this. smile

BiddyPop Tue 19-Jul-16 14:36:45

I'm the only 1 of the 6 "Children" who have not lived abroad as an adult (I was however, the only one actually born abroad, came home at 7mths). And come from a mixed marriage parentage (1 DNS and 1 DSS)!

But I did relocate from the Real Capital to the administrative capital when I left Uni.

TheresAlwaysTimeForTea Tue 19-Jul-16 14:48:25

Well, what about ye? I'm from Belfast originally but now living in Dubai with scouse DH.

vvviola Tue 19-Jul-16 14:49:28

I know what you mean vvviola. I wasn't away as long as you but after spending 30 years in Dublin, coming back after the few years away was a shock. So much had changed even in a few short years!

I was lucky that for most of the time I was able to come home semi-regularly. But the last stint was 3 years without setting foot at home. I still regularly look like a total eejit and have to tell friends "I went to X place to go to Y shop and it wasn't there" at which point they look at me as if I've taken leave of my senses and gently remind me it's been gone for 5 or 6 years blush

JasperDamerel Tue 19-Jul-16 15:16:24

Hello. I'm from Belfast but have lived in Yorkshire since I came here for university. DP is Englush, and so are the children, although I have trained them to like Irish food.

JackieAndHyde4eva Tue 19-Jul-16 15:34:14

vviola i spent many summers in wicklow as a child and have been taking my DCs for abfew years too. Lovely part of the country.

alphaechokiwi Tue 19-Jul-16 15:43:40

Hi everyone! I'm from Dublin but have lived in London for 10 years. Would love to go home to live, but don't think we could get work in either of our fields at the moment. DP is English and less keen than I.

Heading home for a holiday next week - can anybody recommend a camp site near the sea in West Cork? Was thinking Goleen / Barleycove area but open to suggestions. We have an 11 month old so toilet / washing facilities a must.
Go raibh maith agaibh !!

TheOnlyPink Tue 19-Jul-16 15:48:45

Ah, love it! Long overdue to have an Irish part of mumsnet!

Born and bred in cork city, but living in east cork now.

CmereTilliTellYa Tue 19-Jul-16 16:50:18

at which point they look at me as if I've taken leave of my senses and gently remind me it's been gone for 5 or 6 years

grin snap!

CmereTilliTellYa Tue 19-Jul-16 16:51:20

Well this is exciting. I'm Irish born and raised and resident all my lift. From the arsehole of ballygobackwards in the north west.

DH is from that general area. Lovely spot to live in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now